PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk Hunger Strike

Irenicus
07/08/2012, 05:39 PM
I had a large Harlequin Tusk shipped to me from Live Aquaria that arrived on Tuesday. The fish looks great, but it has not ate. I've used garlic and vitamin C along with varied foods... Nada. Ive heard this can happen but is it common? How long should I wait until I should become concerned?

Dr Colliebreath
07/08/2012, 06:07 PM
A week or 10 days. Some fish take longer to settle in than others. Keep offering a variety of meaty foods and keep water quality up. If it goes another week without eating, I would try live brine to see if that gets it started eating.

barbianj
07/08/2012, 06:31 PM
Mine was also very shy at first. It eventually ate scallops, then shrimp. Took less than a week. Low stress is key. Is it in with other fish, or a QT?

Irenicus
07/08/2012, 06:33 PM
It's in a QT w/ a small porc puffer. No aggression.

barbianj
07/08/2012, 06:40 PM
If it's swimming around and active, I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Irenicus
07/09/2012, 07:52 AM
He goes from swimming around to hiding by the heater. I do have PVC in there, but prefers to just put his head behind the heater head.

I wonder if I shouldn't move the porc to a separate 10 gallon QT so the Tusk is able to eat the food at his leisure. Currently the only sits on the tank floor for about a minute or so before it is consumed by the little porc puffer.

fish stalker
07/09/2012, 12:40 PM
I would keep lights off or low and move the porc. I have found the tusks to be shy at first. If your q tank hasn't had meds in try a few hermit crabs. I have done this in holding tanks before and it gets the fish's attention. I have also had success with large pe mysis that I kept suspended in the water column with an airstone, hope it eats soon.

Irenicus
07/09/2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks. Still nothing today. I tried a large variety of foods (non live) and even threw a shrimp in there. He tried to eat the whole shrimp tail first a couple of times to no avail. I broke it up but he seemed to be uninterested then. I did a large water change removed all but a little piece of shrimp and called it a night. I'm discouraged, but his behavior gave me some hope. Tomorrow I'll try a clam. If that doesn't work the I will call Live Aquaria and see what direction they can give. Praying tomorrow is better.

collegeman
07/09/2012, 09:10 PM
I purchased one from them and it took over 2 weeks for it to start eating. Mines now eat anything I put in the tank. Just give him more time and try not to stress him out.

00Warpig00
07/09/2012, 09:55 PM
you didn't mention what size he is but my HT could not resist shrimp from the seafood counter. The trick was getting it cut down into small enough pieces he could eat them. I cut the pieces into about pea sized bits and he had no problem. He also likes Krill. I would take a full sized krill and rip it into pieces (approx thirds) He loves them. My HT also really enjoys Formula 1 and 2 cubes cut into pieces the size of a pea and defrosted in water but not smashed.

Nick

muskiewade
07/10/2012, 11:28 AM
I'd suggest breaking up a silverside into 2-3 pieces. Definitely the favorite food for my HT.

Irenicus
07/10/2012, 11:32 AM
I do have some silversides in my freezer... I'll give it a shot.

Craigar
07/10/2012, 11:35 AM
Live ghost shrimp works like a charm to get them to eat!

Irenicus
07/10/2012, 07:10 PM
I put the silversides in and he swam around like he smelled something good but it looked like he was struggling to find it. He then consumed it, chewed it up and spit it out. Is it possible he could be blind or have abnormally bad vision? I moved my hand to the tank and he didn't really react. His eyes are clear and look healthy. I put my hand in there and I could grab him if desired though his eyes did react... But it's a 30 breeder, nowhere really to go. Perhaps he's familiar to my presence.

If blind, I wonder how if the guarantee from Live Aquaria would apply? Not dead, but might as well be in a competitive FOWLR.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself and will laugh about this when he's a pig. Until then... I wait.

barbianj
07/11/2012, 10:09 AM
I put the silversides in and he swam around like he smelled something good but it looked like he was struggling to find it. He then consumed it, chewed it up and spit it out. Is it possible he could be blind or have abnormally bad vision? I moved my hand to the tank and he didn't really react. His eyes are clear and look healthy. I put my hand in there and I could grab him if desired though his eyes did react... But it's a 30 breeder, nowhere really to go. Perhaps he's familiar to my presence.

If blind, I wonder how if the guarantee from Live Aquaria would apply? Not dead, but might as well be in a competitive FOWLR.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself and will laugh about this when he's a pig. Until then... I wait.

I have noticed EXACTLY the same thing with some of my recent additions, including the Tusk and a Potter's Leopard wrasse. IME, it's only temporary, but I've had a suspicion that some new fish have a hard time acclimating because of partial loss of sight. Way back when my Queen Trigger had ich and was treated with copper I noticed the same thing. Couldn't eat unless the food was directly in front of her mouth.

I ended up losing my Potter's, and when I went back and looked at videos, it appeared that it could not see the food floating in the water, but could find it when it settled on the bottom. The fish ate, and swam around, but I believe that after the other fish, ie. stupid tang, realized the weakness, attacked and killed it.

When my Tusk started eating, it was only when the food was right in front of him. I had to spot feed with my coral feeding tube to make sure that no food would go to waste. The pieces had to be fairly small, otherwise he would spit them out later. Now, he's a pig like the rest of the fish.

jetbkk
07/13/2012, 02:16 AM
My Harlequin Tusk will only eat table shrimp and chopped up clams. He will not touch pellets at all. We also usually need to target feed him but once he sees what's going on he eats a lot.