PDA

View Full Version : Happy Ric or Begging for More Light?

chad p
07/08/2012, 09:09 PM
So I've added a few Florida rics and the first ones I added (the big green ones) have opened up nicely. The thing is that they expand so much that based on some of the things I've read I'm wondering if they're in need of more intense light. They've sort of taken on the shape of table acro most of the time.

Right now they're at the bottom of a 28 gallon nano cube with a single sky blue Kessil A150 about 4-5 inches over the top of it. They're not exactly centered in the tank either. I like them where they're at but I was hoping to get some opinions from experienced ric keepers if you all thought they look fine or if they should be moved. Thanks so much in advance and here they are:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/cgpattullo/db013168.jpg

Here they are again and you can see my 2 new multi colored ones below. The little guys are coming along well in the same light intensity.
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/cgpattullo/de973f60.jpg

IamTomm
07/08/2012, 10:38 PM
How long have you had them.

Personally I think they look fine. I would leave them be.

G4546
07/08/2012, 11:13 PM
Look fine to me as well, you should be a proud owner of a split ric here soon ;) Keep up the good work and provide the best you can! Keep us posted :) (BTW in your first picture, I have the same thing currently going on in my frag tank with a ric just like that ;))

chad p
07/08/2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. I've had the green one in question for about 6 weeks now I guess. The reason I posed the question is because I've read that rics and other types of polyps will stretch out when they'd prefer more light and this bad boy is about as opened up as possible. I'm used to seeing them sort of relaxed and laying on the surface that they're attached to. These guys are up and almost siphon shaped.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to upgrade to an A350 soon here so it'll be interesting to see if they lay down and shrink a bit at that time. I'll update when I upgrade or if there are any changes in their condition.

As for them splitting, I was kind of surprised after looking at that top photo. I thought that those two had completely split already. Looks like they're really close though. These are my first rics so it's interesting to watch them. I'm in love with rics now so I'll definitely be adding to my small collection.

chad p
07/09/2012, 08:19 PM
Bit of an update. I moved the rock with my rics on it to a more central area of the tank with more light and today they're even more stretched out and upside down cone shaped.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/cgpattullo/983a2590.jpg

My newer rics are obviously smaller but they're on the same rock and the same general location and they aren't stretching out. Maybe it's just the "personality" of the green ones.
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/cgpattullo/b1bedb58.jpg

nanshaw2001
07/10/2012, 01:33 PM
I think some Florida rics will be my next purchase!

Toadally
07/10/2012, 07:22 PM
They look great... maybe they just love the light you're providing.

philosophile
07/11/2012, 09:06 PM
Is the flow lifting them up like that? It does kinda look like its stretching for light. But it also looks healthy and fine. Light starved rics tend to have fewer bubbles and space between the bubbles since they are stretching so much.

chad p
07/11/2012, 09:38 PM
No there's pretty low flow at the bottom of my tank so I don't think they're being propped up. When the lights first come on they're laying down more.

It's kind of weird and the smaller multi colored ones don't perk up like that. I'm hoping to upgrade to an A350 in the next month or so. We'll see if they respond differently at that time. Awesome yuma in your avatar BTW!

Islandfever
07/15/2012, 11:31 PM
Florida rics should flatten out and spread when it has enough light. If it stretches up try giving it more light.

chad p
07/15/2012, 11:55 PM
Florida rics should flatten out and spread when it has enough light. If it stretches up try giving it more light.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm not going to move it up in the tank at the moment tough. Hoping to upgrade to an A350 in the next couple of weeks so we'll see how they do as I acclimate everything and slowly crank up the light.