PDA

View Full Version : New tank for zoas only?

Just2Many
07/09/2012, 06:08 PM
So I have a friend who asked me what it would tank to make a Zoas dominate tank and how different it would be... my responce is I'll research it! Here I am... she has a 125 or a 150 gallon she will be using coming from what once was a freshwater tank. So she is starting from scratch...
So hardware list first .... go!
Thanks in advance!

A. Grandis
07/09/2012, 09:21 PM
Well, please don't get me wrong, but the first thing she has to do is to come here and ask herself.
She has to search for it.
This is the best advice I can give to you.
Please tell her to search. You will be doing a great favor to your friend.

:thumbsup:

Gradis.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 05:06 AM
Well, please don't get me wrong, but the first thing she has to do is to come here and ask herself.
She has to search for it.
This is the best advice I can give to you.
Please tell her to search. You will be doing a great favor to your friend.

Gradis.

It all sounds good lol. Shes an older lady who doesn't get the internet and never will. She has been into freshwater for over 20 years and after seeing my tanks is converting one of hers into a zoa tank. So I figured their is probably a better way to go if your doing zoa dominate.

A. Grandis
07/10/2012, 12:58 PM
Well, if she doesn't have internet I guess you'll need to help her.
That's very kind of you!

I would go very simple and just keep a small number of fishes.
You could suggest a tang and some cardinal fishes to start with.
Get her a good skimmer and a good simple T5 fixture with as many bulbs she can afford or place above her tank. One of the best T5 fixtures I know is the ATI, but if she doesn't want to spend the money she could get a TekLight. If the TekLight is still not a choice... Others like the Nova would work too.
Metal halides are too hot and takes a lot of electricity.
LEDs are kinda complicated for some older folks.
A sump would be great where you can place the skimmer, etc.

Main thing is to figure out how much she wants to invest first.
Light, skimmer and water chemistry are the backbone of a good system.

Would be good to keep the system very stable and a chiller would help.

Just keep it simple and teach her all you know about cycling the tank, water chemistry and maintenance.

Zoas are nor a big deal, most of the time.

I'm sure others will also chime in to help you with your project...
Good luck and make sure you use the search engine! We all learn very much using it.

Grandis.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah I've given her the basics and she gather the tank and now a sump, was thinking of putting in a refugium and then the skimmer is still in the air as to which one, she would like to find one used along with some lights but that's easier said then done. I'm still more interested in things like fish that help keep zoas free from bugs. And other things that will help keep the tank well balanced.

A. Grandis
07/10/2012, 04:52 PM
The less fishes the better IMO. Just keep it simple for now because she is a newbie.
No refugium, I would suggest. No reactors.
Get the best skimmer and the best T5 fixture you can find/afford.
Aragonite sand and live rocks.

Grandis.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 04:54 PM
Cool cool!

A. Grandis
07/10/2012, 04:57 PM
Hope others could come here to give their opinions too!
Good luck!

Grandis.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks really and yeah hoping people chime in too!

birdman1979
07/10/2012, 05:04 PM
Good advice. Three additional things I would recommend for any system:

- Timer for light
- ATO
- Temp controller for heater. Ranco are about as simple and reliable as they get. Look for pre-wired unless you are willing and able to help. It's not hard to wire if you are somewhat handy.

birdman1979
07/10/2012, 05:06 PM
oh... 4th thing. RO/DI filter.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 05:08 PM
Totally awesome ATO , timer never really did the whole controller thing but was shining about pushing a reef keeper? Seems cheap safety they can build on.

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah RO/DI I'm finding for her now! Its a must I agree!

goldenfiji
07/10/2012, 06:17 PM
The water here has undetectable NO3 & PO4 (lucky me), so I only use filtered water (not RO). Since zoas can tolerate, actually they like, some NO3, RO water may not be necessary for zoas only tank. Check your water first before spending hundreds of dollars in the equipment. Another option is DI water, it is only 3% shy from RO. Good luck :D

Just2Many
07/10/2012, 06:19 PM
Good point! I'm.thinking just RO for her and no DI to cut cost a little!

Just2Many
07/11/2012, 02:25 PM
Shes setting up some stuff already!

A. Grandis
07/11/2012, 08:45 PM
Pics!?
:D

Grandis.

RandysReef
07/12/2012, 04:54 PM
THats gonna be n awesome tank

RandysReef
07/12/2012, 04:58 PM
get some rastas

Just2Many
07/13/2012, 05:06 AM
Well some last min changes have been made so I waiting to hear what she did. i told her to send Pics for everyone too.