PDA

View Full Version : dose two parts on filter floss

lastduke
07/09/2012, 09:50 PM
As I am using a AIO solana tank, the fastest flow in the tank is the outlet of my hang-back skimmer. so the dosing pump delivers the two parts solution right at the outlet of skimmer. The filter floss is right underneath the skimmer outlet. Will that be a problem?
In addition, I pour two parts on top of filter floss when I manually adjust the tank parameters. For example, yesterday, my alk is 7.3dkh, per calculator i dosed 17ml which is supposed to push alk up to 8dkh. but the actual reading was 7.7dkh. This is not an one time instance to question my test kit or accuracy. It always needs more solution/daily dosage to reach the appropriate level.
Do you think above the filter floss is not a good place to dose two parts? it is hard to find a fast flow in a AIO tank.

bertoni
07/10/2012, 12:56 AM
I always dumped the supplements into the display tank directly. You can try what you're doing for a while. If you don't see precipitation on the filter floss or nearby, you're set. :)

jerpa
07/10/2012, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't worry about a slight discrepancy like that. It is easily accounted for by the accuracy, or inaccuracy, of our test kits. If you are not seeing precipitation on the floss, pumps, etc. you are most likely good to go. Just bump the dosing a bit if your alk is declining over a weeks time.

lastduke
07/10/2012, 05:41 PM
i can see the precipitation under the floss.... today I removed the filter floss and give it a shot.
can I run the system without a filter floss? how to remove the big particulates without using a floss?

rps3
07/10/2012, 08:37 PM
Your fine to run it without floss. Its just another mechanical way to remove stuff from the floss, but since the skimmer exit is right under it, the skimmer should have got everything.

bertoni
07/10/2012, 11:56 PM
I agree that the floss can be removed safely. I might try that and see how it goes. If the particulates become a problem, we might be able to find another solution.

lastduke
07/10/2012, 11:59 PM
the filter floss was removed, not two parts will be dosed on top of a GAC bag, is that okay? probably i should relocate the GAC bag as well.

bertoni
07/11/2012, 12:07 AM
You could wait to see whether the bag gets covered with precipitation. If so, a bit of vinegar would remove it.