PDA

View Full Version : Elos Osmocontroller over Tunze Osmolator

kinkylizard
07/10/2012, 01:49 AM
So I have been looking into a new ato after my previous auto top off system failed on me.(I came home to a nasty flood, and a 3 hour lecture from my wife) After the lecture I decided enough was enough and decided to go for an auto top off system that uses a so called "eye". As I was looking into different systems my heart won me over on the elos osmocontoller over the tunze (mainly due to the wife preferring the elos ato) I then decided to look for reviews and was not able to find much info on the elos as the tunze is one of the more popular ato out there. Any experience with this unit will be appreciated. Also, I've look at the company its self and they seem to be a pretty good company and look to make good products.

SoLiD
07/10/2012, 02:03 AM
I don't know buddy, The Tunze Osmolator has a long and proven track record. Elos makes great stuff but you really pay alot for the same thing that just looks like a piece of art. But if it works the same I'd probably go with the prettier one too. Check this video I found about the Tunze Osmolator and see how the Elos compares.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IomPaRQ6KtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kinkylizard
07/10/2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks, I think I was too caught up trying to please my wife after that nasty flood

BigAl2007
07/10/2012, 05:53 PM
I'd go with the one that sooo many people are using and swear by it. :)

dustinc
07/10/2012, 10:54 PM
I've used the Elos ATO, the newest version, and it will be the one I will use from now on. It is extremely accurate and works great out of the box. I've never personally used the tunze, but know people who have and they love it as well. I think you will be happy with either, but for me I would go Elos as I think it is a great product.

Sleepyhead
07/10/2012, 10:57 PM
I love my Tunze

kinkylizard
07/11/2012, 02:23 AM
I've used the Elos ATO, the newest version, and it will be the one I will use from now on. It is extremely accurate and works great out of the box. I've never personally used the tunze, but know people who have and they love it as well. I think you will be happy with either, but for me I would go Elos as I think it is a great product.

How bads the noise when the Elos kicks one (If theres even any), I've been on the move to try to make my tank as silent as possible

vietnam
07/11/2012, 06:43 AM
I like my tunze ato, its perfect and works everytime. Both of the systems utilize the same pump so you will hear a slight buzzing/whining sound when they are on. I picked the tunze ato due to track record, haven't regretted it yet. Had a minor incident once where my return pump was blocked so the water level in the sump had gone up. I got a call from home saying my tank was making a lot of noise so I had rushed home and it turned out the tunze ato float valve went off due to the blockage of the return pump. Keep in mind that when the float valve is triggered, it shuts off the ato pump. Don't think the Elos has that feature... ;)

Joel_155
07/11/2012, 07:59 AM
Ive had my tunze up and running for like 3 months now ( tank is only 3 months old) and its awesome. Easy to setup and works great.

coral_lagoon
02/19/2013, 12:29 AM
I love my Elos ATO system too. Had it for a month now topping off kalkwasser..

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/DSCN2626_zps88dbe8d1.jpg

reeftivo
02/19/2013, 08:44 AM
I'm sure the elos ato is fine.

I'll throw my .02 towards the tunze.

I've had my osmolator for 5 years. I had to replace the pump once because it ran dry while on vacation ($23 bucks). Other than that it's been trouble free. I'm not sure what the replacement elos pumps would cost but I'd be surprised if they are cheaper than $23 bucks.

t4zalews
02/19/2013, 11:14 AM
I love my tunze. I forget to fill my reservoir all the time, I know this because I can hear the pump running dry. I've yet to have to replace the pump or have any problems. I used to dose kalk through my tunze and it never got clogged or stopped working. The only thing I have had to do, very rarely, is rub the sensor with some tank water to get it working again because my sump level dropped and some salt water crusted on it. But thats a 1 second fix. I've had mine for ~5 years

this is me
02/19/2013, 12:23 PM
I've ran the Tunze for years. Even after I bought my Elos system which came with the Elos ATO. The Tunze was too reliable to change to something else so my Elos ATO still sits in the box.
I'm now using a Profilux controller with a float and optical sensor as an ATO.

OregonReefer2
02/19/2013, 04:22 PM
IMHO the sensor mount for the Elos looks like it would be hard to adjust the level.

There are occasions when I want to adjust the sump level by a small amount and the magnetic mount for the Tunze makes that very easy

That aside, my Tunze has functioned flawlessly for a year and a half now

Herbie
02/19/2013, 06:14 PM
I have had both.........the newest Elos, and Tunze. Have used the Tunze for years.......always trouble free.
Some things that may be important to you........
The Elos uses very large diameter tubing, so its very hard to dose a small amount of water. Not a big deal.........unless you are dosing kalk water, or have a small tank. The tunze uses small airline size tubing so it can dose very small doses (ounces) whenever it needs it.......or larger doses. I can take just a few oz's of water out of my tank.......and the tunze will know it, and top it off !
The elos does NOT use a sensor eye like the tunze. It uses a heated prob that senses when the prob is out of the water, then adds water until the prob cools off.
The elos will not work right away. It runs through a 5 minute "diagnostic" check before you can even adjust it for water level. So every time its unplugged you wont be able to set it up until you wait a little bit. The Tunze works instantly as soon as its powered up. It runs through a quick pump purge, then you can set it where you want it..........then adjust it instantly and get real time feedback on your water level adjustments.
The Elos has a very advanced micro processor system for safety's, that rely on 1 sensor and pump run times. The tunze has the same, but also uses a high float emergency for an added level of safety........the pump can not run if the safety float is raised.

Do your homework a bit, but I have tried the Elos to see if it was "all that". I am back to the Tunze. Its hands down the ONLY piece of equipment on any of my tanks that I can say is mandatory. Its that good!

HTH,
Herbie

aandfsoccr04
02/19/2013, 06:21 PM
I've used the osmolator on my tank over the past few years as well. It's hands down the best piece of equipment I've purchased for my reef.

nyoneway
03/28/2013, 10:18 PM
I had both, sold the Tunze. Not to say either is better/worse. Elos looks better and more simple to operate/hook up.

blackgate
03/29/2013, 04:27 AM
+1 for the Elos, had it for over a year now and it has been rock solid. I'm sure either one will work just fine for you, both are quality products.

jaynigz
03/29/2013, 06:37 AM
If there was a single important equipment in your reef, it has to be the ATO.

I will put my 2 cents on tunze. It has not fail on me in years (knock on wood)

I have it hooked to a 7 gallon slim and fill it up once a week for my 90g. I use LED so water loss isn't as pronounced as most T5 and MH system.

Go with tunze. Tried and true.

915MANG
04/05/2013, 06:26 PM
I hope you dont mind me posting this video here. But I too could not find a whole lot of information on the ELOS AUTO TOP OFF. So I made my own video in order to help someone else decide if this is the right one for them or not.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LTIphs8LHts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

coral_lagoon
04/05/2013, 09:06 PM
Nice work on the video Mang!

I just hooked up my second Elos unit for my 150gal ( 23g container) Which is currently cycling..:beer:

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/IMG_20130403_233537_591_zps402d30c8.jpg

915MANG
04/05/2013, 09:11 PM
Nice work on the video Mang!

I just hooked up my second Elos unit for my 150gal ( 23g container) Which is currently cycling..:beer:

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/IMG_20130403_233537_591_zps402d30c8.jpg

Nice 23 GAL Container. I was thinking about getting a 20 gallon brute container. I would use it the next time I go on Vacation!

Solov
04/05/2013, 09:40 PM
I am a new user of Tunze and I must say, it's the only piece of equipment that I had not questions setting up, no questions regarding operation and no doubts regarding reliability (it's very precise right now, it has second safety sensor and I also have it on controller, that will limit its impact if all the above fails).

Oh and as a bonus it works perfectly with TLF Kalkwasser reactor (which also hooked up to my pH probe, so I won't dose it pH is too high). One system I am completely happy with!

Paulairduck
04/06/2013, 12:05 AM
I have used my tunze osmo for many years, one of the few things I don't have to worry about on my tank!

omeroped
04/06/2013, 12:22 AM
I'm using elos, and i find it work well, in the past i have used tunze, it was good but i prefer elos

razataz5
04/06/2013, 12:41 PM
love my tunze I like the mag mount alot

devimik
04/06/2013, 01:01 PM
I am sure the Elos is a good ATO, but the one I read about the most and bought for my 90g is the Tunze and I love it. Only problem I ever had was some film on the sensor and once cleaned, no worries. I can't imagine this hobby without it.

James77
04/06/2013, 03:06 PM
I like the look of that small Elos pump....does anyone know if that will fit inside a standard 5 gallon Poland spring jug?

I've used Tunze top off, and they are great and reliable. I stopped using mine only because I ditched the basement sump, and was topping off from the cellar. These little pumps have little head ability.

trachyshort
05/07/2013, 05:57 PM
My Elos appears to be on its way out. The status light always stays green even though the probe is nowhere near the water line. I've cleaned the probe to day-new shine, but the thing always reports 'good-to-go' green. I've turned the thing off for 15 seconds, 15 minutes, and 15 hours in hopes of reseting it, but alias, it still shows green. I've started the probe in water, out of the water, and left it nowhere near water, and it reports 'green' once it finishes its setup. At least the pumps works, but the whole point of the device was to have it replace water once it detected the water level low...well, it lasted a year...but for $200 bucks, I'm weary of getting a new one, and based on what I'm reading, perhaps I should give Tunze a try.:headwally: