PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing/Drilling question on my 40B

sweeper7
07/10/2012, 11:29 AM
I know I know, this is probably a VERY stupid questoin but I'm just hoping I can find a cheaper answer loll.

I am ordering a 1 3/4" drill bit for my glass for 2 drains, and I have 1 return at 1 1/2" drill bit, I REALLY don't want to spend another $14 for the return hole because its only 1 hole, is it ANYWAY possible to use my drain hole to cut out my return one as well? I know, size obvoiusly is different but i am speaking of maybe the gasket would cover the gap between the bigger hole and the smaller bulkhead??

Also, is this the right stuff needed before I place my order.

2 1" bulkheads
2 1" Gaskets
1 3/4" bulkhead
1 3/4" Gasket
4 1" street 90 deg. elbow
2 3/4" street 90 deg. elbow
1 locline hose
1 3/4" locline WYE
1 Locline male adapter
2 Nozzles

Am I missing anything here? The rest of the aprts I figure I can buy from Lowes/HD.

PS: Do I need a 3/4" locline WYE or the 3/4" to 1" WYE Adapter?
PSS: What is the difference between the street 90 deg and regular one?

firebirdude
07/10/2012, 11:50 AM
Having a hard time understanding you. So you're drilling two overflow holes with a 1 3/4" bit and you already have a return hole drilled at 1 1/2"? Or you just already have a 1 1/2" bit and no holes drilled yet? Either way, I don't see a problem. Either drill all the holes the same or, if the return is already drilled, just use a smaller bulkhead for it. 1 1/4" is already pretty damn big for a 40B.

If I'm completely in left field and misunderstanding you, then no, I wouldn't recommend using a smaller bulkhead in a larger hole. Buy the proper sized bulkhead.

The locline, I have no clue what you're trying to do with it.

A street el just has a male slip fitting on one end and female on the other. Easier to connect directly to other fittings, versus cutting a tiny piece of PVC to fit in both fittings/elbows.

Lastly, when adding an additional thought on the end of script, it's "PS" and then "PPS" (then PPPS, PPPPS,etc).

sweeper7
07/10/2012, 11:59 AM
Having a hard time understanding you. So you're drilling two overflow holes with a 1 3/4" bit and you already have a return hole drilled at 1 1/2"? Or you just already have a 1 1/2" bit and no holes drilled yet? Either way, I don't see a problem. Either drill all the holes the same or, if the return is already drilled, just use a smaller bulkhead for it. 1 1/4" is already pretty damn big for a 40B.

If I'm completely in left field and misunderstanding you, then no, I wouldn't recommend using a smaller bulkhead in a larger hole. Buy the proper sized bulkhead.

The locline, I have no clue what you're trying to do with it.

A street el just has a male slip fitting on one end and female on the other. Easier to connect directly to other fittings, versus cutting a tiny piece of PVC to fit in both fittings/elbows.

Lastly, when adding an additional thought on the end of script, it's "PS" and then "PPS" (then PPPS, PPPPS,etc).

I don't have any holes yet nor have I ordered any bits yet until i make sure i have the right stuff in the cart.

All I meant was, was there anyway to save an extra $14 by not ordering the smaller drill bit.

I am trying to have a Y Split (dual head) locline return.

So Street would be a lot easier to use for my plumbing. Now which side would I connect to my threaded bulkhead? the Male or the female?

thanks for that tip.

Entropy
07/10/2012, 12:06 PM
You can make your return and drain the same size hole, just use the same size bulkheads for both. If you want to make it smaller (1" to 3/4") just use a slip style bulkhead and a reducer on the loc line side. You will probably be better off with 1 inch return piping anyway (less restriction).

firebirdude
07/10/2012, 12:13 PM
Yes there's a way. Drill them all the same size. 1 1/4" is plenty large for a 40B. TONS of flow with that. And keep in mind, slow flow through the sump is beneficial...

I'm not sure what you're using the street el for, but just make sure you're buying the threaded version if you have threads on the inside of your bulkhead. You can buy slip-fit street els from Home Depot/Lowes cheaply. Not sure on sizes, but I've bought them there before. Not sure about the threaded type.

sweeper7
07/10/2012, 01:04 PM
You can make your return and drain the same size hole, just use the same size bulkheads for both. If you want to make it smaller (1" to 3/4") just use a slip style bulkhead and a reducer on the loc line side. You will probably be better off with 1 inch return piping anyway (less restriction).

Would a 1" return be too big in turn losing power as well?

Entropy
07/10/2012, 03:30 PM
Nope. The bigger the pipe the better the flow.

TheKman
07/10/2012, 03:46 PM
I dont know what you would think about having one. But I put in a check valve on my return, and I tell you what ; it's come in a blessing when you lose power and our return doesn't drain backwards

firebirdude
07/10/2012, 05:21 PM
Or just don't put the return so low in the tank. Though a check valve sounds great on the surface, it WILL restrict flow. And it may possibly clog over time, as scum/pods/tiny bits of cheato get sucked through your return pump. To each their own, but I'd just keep the return high enough to not let more than an inch or two reverse-siphon.

sweeper7
07/10/2012, 06:20 PM
so does my list look right or did i overstock 1 or under on another? I will probably just stick with a 3/4" return because the price on a 1" plumbing ends up being more than that $14 drill bit