PDA

View Full Version : To pellet, or not to pellet?

davemercier
07/11/2012, 02:36 PM
Hey good people, i used to have a high nitrate issue in my 72 bowfront mixed reef tank with a fairly full bioload, as in maxed out on fish capacity, regardless of the fact that i did 20% water changes with good kent salt, and trying not to overfeed or over stock the tank. After reading on at least 25 different websites about water parameter recommendations stating tha less tha 5-10 ppm is good, less even better, i sought to bring my nitrate concentration down to zero or as close to it as possible. So, i invested in a bio pellet reactor and pump and now that the pellets have matured, my nitrate readings have indeed been at zero. This turned out to be bad for my elegance coral which sadly died due to it's need of higher nutrient levels in the water. Other than that, i'm thrilled to have the zero readings for my SPS corals. So, what i'm looking for here is other peoples opinions on bio pellet reactors in general, and zero nitrates in the mixed reef aquarium. Thanks very much!

Neptunes World
07/11/2012, 06:22 PM
Run GFO til Phos is 0 then take out some pellets til N comes up to around 1-2 and keep Phos low. Thats about the best you can do. No free lunch here.