PDA

View Full Version : Help optimizing the plumbing on my new 125G

Landsailor
07/11/2012, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Please let me know if I am missing anything here.

I have a new Visio 125G tank with BeanAnimal and C2C overflow. My return pump is a Blowhole 1450. The tank had a couple of minor errors in the build, but the biggest PITA is the returns. I wanted the front of the overflow to have pass through holes drilled for the returns, but for some reason they didn't do it. That means it takes a 90° elbow in the overflow to get the Loc-Line up and into the tank. Also, I originally spec'd 1" returns, but got talked into 3/4".

While I told them the size of the return pump and underestimated the headloss, I'm not sure if they made the teeth the correct size since the highest I can get the water level is about 1/4" away from the bottom of the rim. It looks like the standard size teeth to me.

The flow schematic is:

All 1" until noted.

Sump -> Pump -> Elbow -> Elbow -> Check Valve -> Wye Fitting w/ Barb Inserts -> (two) Flexible Nylon Hose -> Barb to Socket -> Slip to 3/4" MIP Thread -> threaded Elbow -> Bulkhead -> threaded Elbow -> Loc-Line Valve -> Loc-Line

Pictures will be in the next response.

This is actually revision #2 of the plumbing. It definitely improved when I replaced the original tee fitting with the Wye. Now the right hand return is pretty much a straight shot up from the check valve.

I calculated the head loss from just the fittings after the pump and came up with 32.6' using http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-pipes-equivalent-length-fittings-d_801.html

This is just based on the data provided in the table, so some stuff is omitted.

After the first email and photos, Chris from Reeflo suggested using 1.5" pipe and getting rid of as many fittings as possible but said that even doing that would only gain about 200-400 GPH. (I would take it, though.)

Thoughts:

Blocking the return bulkheads and engineering some sort of keeper to mount the flex tubing to the edge of the aquarium and running a straight shot out of the return of the pump.

Replace first two elbows after the pump with tubing. That would knock off 10.6' of head, right? According to the chart on the website, dropping from 28' to 20' adds 370gph of flow. (Am I reading that correctly?)

Get a new pump and keep the plumbing clean.

Get a second Blowhole and run one per side.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Landsailor
07/11/2012, 06:53 PM

Landsailor
07/15/2012, 09:56 AM
Anyone?