PDA

View Full Version : StarkLED blunova

jhawkor
07/11/2012, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have this light? They look pretty nice, and I'm thinking about going with two of them over my 90 gallon. I like the built in controller and wireless out of the box.

http://www.starkled.com/led-aquarium-light/blunova

SpawnGawn
07/11/2012, 10:54 PM
I have 3 of these over my 220g. I have had these for about a month and everything seems to be doing well. just have a few issues. I had one light that the fan went out on and they sent me a replacement light. That was good, but 2 of the blue LEDs went out on the replacement fixture so I had to send that one back and am currently waiting on the new one to arrive. Not that big of a deal just a pain waiting. The only other thing that I am unhappy with is the availability of the wireless controller. That should have been out and May and still nothing. All I hear from stark is that it will be out this summer. The only frustrating thing is that I know these light are going to be great when everything gets released.

tjdouglas
08/28/2012, 03:59 AM
I have two of these units on my 110 gallon 30" tall tank, and I totally love them. I replaced two 250 HQI metal halides with these Blunova units and my corals are really happy:celeb1: Colors are much better on my sps and these lights really do penetrate more deeply that my halides. I initially hated giving up my metal halides, because i feared that I would lose coloring on my sps, but now I am so glad I did. I've got colors coming back on some of my sps that I had not seen for months! Plus, my chiller runs a lot less often now. So really pleased overall.

But like SpawnGawn said, still waiting for the wireless controllers and software for these babies to come out. The company told me via an email they would have the wireless remote available by the end of August (but August is just about over now)! So far, you cannot do anything with the wireless capabilities since they have nor released any software or drivers for it. Hoping the wireless remote will be available soon.

SpawnGawn
08/29/2012, 05:28 PM
I have two of these units on my 110 gallon 30" tall tank, and I totally love them. I replaced two 250 HQI metal halides with these Blunova units and my corals are really happy:celeb1: Colors are much better on my sps and these lights really do penetrate more deeply that my halides. I initially hated giving up my metal halides, because i feared that I would lose coloring on my sps, but now I am so glad I did. I've got colors coming back on some of my sps that I had not seen for months! Plus, my chiller runs a lot less often now. So really pleased overall.

But like SpawnGawn said, still waiting for the wireless controllers and software for these babies to come out. The company told me via an email they would have the wireless remote available by the end of August (but August is just about over now)! So far, you cannot do anything with the wireless capabilities since they have nor released any software or drivers for it. Hoping the wireless remote will be available soon.

Hey TJ

Would you mind posting a pic of your tank with the Starks over it?

Thanks

jerpa
08/29/2012, 06:03 PM
Call me a cynic but I fail to see how ~45w of LEDS can adequately cover a 30" square while penetrating to 25" with the power of a 250w halide.

tjdouglas
08/30/2012, 04:33 AM
Hi SpawnGawn, I will try to get a pic of my tank posted up this weekend.

Jerpa, I totally understand your being cynical - I was too. But these lights are proving to be pretty awesome so far, although each unit is rated at 90 watts, rather than 45 watts.

jerpa
08/30/2012, 09:01 AM
90 watts is believable if that is 90 watts powering the LED's. The specs on the website says the XM-L's are driven at a max of 3.3 watts. The XP-E's can't be driven much more so with 15 LEDs you're looking at about 50-60 watts of output assuming the blues cab be driven to their max. It also may light that area, I just don't buy that it will effectively grow SPS everywhere in that area like a properly set up MH fixture.

Sorry I am an LED fan I just think many lighting manufacturers give ambigious claims in regard to coverage.

TSJSREEF
10/05/2012, 01:52 PM
I just spoke to Starkled and the wireless controller will be for sale in two weeks. I just purchased two of these for my 120 gallon but I'm going to let my metal halides run until the controller is available.

SpawnGawn
10/05/2012, 02:05 PM
I just spoke to Starkled and the wireless controller will be for sale in two weeks. I just purchased two of these for my 120 gallon but I'm going to let my metal halides run until the controller is available.

I'm not saying that the controller wont be out in 2 weeks, but I have heard that from them at least 6 times since April. There is always an excuse for the delay. These guys don't seem to have it together. I am regretting my decision in purchasing these lights. I should have paid up and gone with the radion or some other fixture that was ready to go to market. This controller is 7 months late =(

TSJSREEF
10/07/2012, 08:14 PM
I don't disagree with you. They did state "around" in the email below. It seems they are struggling to get this controller out. Luckily I bought my units super cheap since I was able to buy wholesale.

They better get this controller released soon before the negative reviews start showing up all over. Anyway here's hoping they get their act together.

Here is Starkled's response to my email:

Thank you for choosing StarkLED blunova.

You will need to put the light at least 5 inches above the water surface to make sure the water won't reach the light. Yes, you can definitely mount the unit underneath a canopy, but you need to keep at least 1 inches spaces around the lights. You don't need a fan for the canopy, but you do need to keep it ventilated (not totally sealed inside the canopy).

The wireless controller will be available around the third week of this month.

Thank you!

Bill
StarkLED Customer Service
www.starkled.com
StarkLED
www.starkled.com

TSJSREEF
10/07/2012, 08:15 PM
I don't disagree with you. They did state "around" in the email below. It seems they are struggling to get this controller out. Luckily I bought my units super cheap since I was able to buy wholesale.

They better get this controller released soon before the negative reviews start showing up all over. Anyway here's hoping they get their act together.:headwalls:

Here is Starkled's response to my email:

Thank you for choosing StarkLED blunova.

You will need to put the light at least 5 inches above the water surface to make sure the water won't reach the light. Yes, you can definitely mount the unit underneath a canopy, but you need to keep at least 1 inches spaces around the lights. You don't need a fan for the canopy, but you do need to keep it ventilated (not totally sealed inside the canopy).

The wireless controller will be available around the third week of this month.

Thank you!

Bill
StarkLED Customer Service
www.starkled.com
StarkLED
www.starkled.com

SpawnGawn
10/30/2012, 05:56 PM
I am having issues!! I just wanted to see who else is having problems with these LEDs. I have 3 of StarkLED blunovas over my 220g, and I am continuing to have problems with different lights. I came home today and none of the buttons were working on one of the lights. I have also had 2 fans go out on the other 2 lights! This is all since April :(
I am very frustrated right now!!!

Does anyone out there using these lights have any issues other than the wireless controller STILL not being released yet?

Thanks

SG

SpawnGawn
11/13/2012, 02:26 PM
The wireless controller is available on stark's website now!!

TSJSREEF
11/13/2012, 10:40 PM
I am having issues!! I just wanted to see who else is having problems with these LEDs. I have 3 of StarkLED blunovas over my 220g, and I am continuing to have problems with different lights. I came home today and none of the buttons were working on one of the lights. I have also had 2 fans go out on the other 2 lights! This is all since April :(
I am very frustrated right now!!!

Does anyone out there using these lights have any issues other than the wireless controller STILL not being released yet?

Thanks

SG
I am having the same issues with one of my lights. It is powering on out of moonlight mode randomly and also flashes periodically throughout the day. I've been very frustrated to say the least. I contacted them and they told me it might be because they need the wireless controller. I ordered the controller today and had it shipped next day air. I will let you know if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't they said they will replace it.

SpawnGawn
11/14/2012, 07:33 AM
I am having the same issues with one of my lights. It is powering on out of moonlight mode randomly and also flashes periodically throughout the day. I've been very frustrated to say the least. I contacted them and they told me it might be because they need the wireless controller. I ordered the controller today and had it shipped next day air. I will let you know if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't they said they will replace it.

Sounds good.....I hope my controller gets here today. I will let you know on my end as well.

tjdouglas
11/14/2012, 11:19 PM
My remote wireless controller arrived today, but I cannot figure out how to operate it yet. (I did manage to set the correct date and time and location at least!) Don't see any operating instructions posted online yet. Anybody else get theirs today...have any luck operating it?

TSJSREEF
11/15/2012, 11:46 AM
I have mine as well but haven't figured it out yet. Like you I am waiting on instructions.

tjdouglas
11/16/2012, 12:26 PM
I received an email that StarkLED is planning to post the instructions for the wireless controller today. But, apparently if you purchased your lights before mid-October you may also need to perform a firmware upgrade on the light unit before it can sync with the wireless controller. The firmware upgrade is supposed to be posted today as well.

In the meantime, I also had to send one of my lights back. Two of the blue LEDs went out and the light was randomly flashing (sounds similar to TSJSREEF's issues). But, they are being very good about offering to replace it with a new one. Hope the new one gets here soon.

SpawnGawn
11/16/2012, 11:43 PM
Am I crazy or are there no instructions up yet?

tjdouglas
11/17/2012, 12:40 AM
LOL...you are not crazy! The instructions (and firmware upgrade if you need it) are still not posted.

tjdouglas
11/18/2012, 05:05 AM
Well, the instructions are posted up now, but I cannot sync my lights to the wireless controller yet because I seem to need to do a firmware upgrade on the LED unit and they have not posted the firmware for that yet.

Anybody have better luck than me?

TSJSREEF
11/18/2012, 07:32 AM
I need the firmware as well so I'm still waiting.

SpawnGawn
11/19/2012, 02:19 PM
Has anyone had issues upgrading the firmware?

gcarroll
11/19/2012, 03:28 PM
If you guys are having a problem, why not just give them a call?

TSJSREEF
11/19/2012, 04:04 PM
I'm traveling today but noticed they have the firmware upgrade. I won't be able to try it until Wednesday. If any of you have tried it please let us know your results.

tjdouglas
11/19/2012, 06:04 PM
I have tried to perform the firmware upgrade, but have had no luck so far. After installing the software on the PC, I plugged in the USB cable to the light unit, but nothing has happened. According to the online instructions, you are supposed to leave the light unit disconnected from the power source when you connect it to your PC via the USB cord and the internal red light will turn on inside the Blunova unit. But that is not happening. I get no response at all.

Anybody else have better luck...or the same issue?

gcarroll
11/19/2012, 06:24 PM
Why not just give them a call?

TSJSREEF
11/19/2012, 11:02 PM
Why not just give them a call?
They only do email.

tjdouglas
11/20/2012, 01:21 AM
I just tried to upgrade the firmware again...still not working.

gcarroll
11/20/2012, 09:56 AM
They only do email.I kind of expected that! Note to self, "No phone number, No address, No business! Sorry you all were taken advantage of.

Unfortunately there have been a lot of empty promises from a lot of these off brand LED manufacturers. They all seem to have 3 things in common. No phone number, no address on their website, and the website is a third party registration. The same story over and over!

Hoepfully you guys are able to get some resolution going forward. It might be worth it to dump them and go with a reputable company that has a proven track record. Good luck all.

Teri One
11/20/2012, 03:15 PM
I have 2 blunovas on my 4 foot 50 gal reef tank. They seem to be doing ok for all of my corals, both soft and stony ones. However there´s the issue with the wireless remote that was just released and no one has any comments nor experience whatsoever with it. The instruction manual just became available 2 days ago. And there's the firmware thing too...
When i was about to update my firmware noticed that the usb port in one of my blunovas is damaged so I wasn´t able to update one of my lamps... Bill (support guy from starkled) just told me my lamps both have the latest firmware, however there is still the issue of pairing it with my remote... anyone has the same problem?? is there a way to pair the wireless controller with the lamps wirelesly??

tjdouglas
11/20/2012, 05:11 PM
Dear Teri One, I don't believe that you can pair your light with the wireless remote if you cannot connect your light via the USB port. You might need to send the unit in to Bill and ask him to have someone fix the damaged USB port.

TSJSREEF
11/20/2012, 10:41 PM
I kind of expected that! Note to self, "No phone number, No address, No business! Sorry you all were taken advantage of.

Unfortunately there have been a lot of empty promises from a lot of these off brand LED manufacturers. They all seem to have 3 things in common. No phone number, no address on their website, and the website is a third party registration. The same story over and over!

Hoepfully you guys are able to get some resolution going forward. It might be worth it to dump them and go with a reputable company that has a proven track record. Good luck all.
I am currently running my metal halides after using the Blunova's for a few weeks. I plan to keep doing so until all this stuff gets figured out.

Teri One
11/21/2012, 09:18 AM
Dear Teri One, I don't believe that you can pair your light with the wireless remote if you cannot connect your light via the USB port. You might need to send the unit in to Bill and ask him to have someone fix the damaged USB port.

Thanks tjdouglas, I was guessing as much... unfortunately i've taken permanent residence in mexico so shipping becomes a big issue here, you know, taxes, customs and such. I just ordered a new blunova from a retailer here in mexico but the price went as high as 830 dlls per lamp. Anyway if I get to send my usb damaged blunova back to the states for repairs I'll then have 3 units, which is cool since i want to set up a new tank for my frags... I have to see the bright side to all this...

Teri One
11/21/2012, 12:47 PM
I have tried to perform the firmware upgrade, but have had no luck so far. After installing the software on the PC, I plugged in the USB cable to the light unit, but nothing has happened. According to the online instructions, you are supposed to leave the light unit disconnected from the power source when you connect it to your PC via the USB cord and the internal red light will turn on inside the Blunova unit. But that is not happening. I get no response at all.

Anybody else have better luck...or the same issue?

That is exactly what happened to my second blunova (besides noticing that the port was damaged) no red light when finally got to connect the usb cable to it. Only one of my blunovas had that red light lit when pluged to the usb and was upgraded without problem.

STARKLED Claims that they check and double check the usb port before they ship their lamps to us customers, but I have serious doubts about it.
its kind of frustrating to go through this send-for-repairs thing for an article that is supposed to be top of the line aquarium equipment.

tjdouglas
11/21/2012, 01:24 PM
Dear Teri One, Thanks for letting me know about your attempts to upgrade the firmware on your unit. It certainly sounds like we have the very same problem, and I fear I am going to have to send my light n for repair/firmware upgrade (although I do not see any obvious problem with my USB port, something is definitely not working right)
I am sorry that your situation is so much more complicated due to living in Mexico. I truly hope you are able to resolve your situation in a satisfactory way.

Teri One
11/21/2012, 02:08 PM
Dear TJDOUGLAS, I'll be receiving the new blunova I purchased tomorrow, as well as the wireless controller. STARKLED replied that repairing the usb is an easy thing to do, and that they could replace my lamp from one of their retailers here in mexico. I'll let you know how everything goes as soon as possible.

TSJSREEF
11/21/2012, 10:39 PM
Just a quick update. I was able to install the latest firmware to both of my lights however they still will not pair with my wireless controller. This has been a big pain in the butt to say the least.

tjdouglas
11/21/2012, 10:48 PM
I am sorry to hear it TSJSREEF. I am having no luck with mine either.

Teri One
11/22/2012, 12:40 PM
Just a quick update. I was able to install the latest firmware to both of my lights however they still will not pair with my wireless controller. This has been a big pain in the butt to say the least.

You've got to be kidding me! Unable to pair even when updated??? OMG
I just got my third blunova today and happily for me the usb port works and I got a red light when pluged. Now I have to go home tu update its firmware. And now wait for my remote which is supposed to arrive today just to get home to find out that I probably won´t be able to pair it with my blunovas... this is way beyond frustrating... I'll let you know how everything goes later.:angryfire:

Teri One
11/22/2012, 05:19 PM
Update...
succesfully updated the firmware on my new blunova...
still waiting for wireless controller to arrive to attempt pairing...
keep you posted guys!

TSJSREEF
11/27/2012, 11:44 AM
I have given up and my lights/controller are on their way to StarkLed.

tjdouglas
11/29/2012, 02:23 AM
I am sorry to hear it TSJSREEF. I had to send both of my units in to be upgraded...could not do it myself. Should get them back tomorrow. I sure hope they finally both work!

tjdouglas
11/29/2012, 04:21 PM
I received my two Blunova units back from StarkLED today. They actually replaced one of my original units with a new one and then replaced the circuit board on my other unit. Both are now working and synced up with my wireless controller.

Although it took a while, I do feel like they did right by me by providing me with two properly working units. I imagine that since these lights and software are relatively new, the company is still working out some of the bugs. But in the meantime, I am happy to see that they are honoring their warranty.

nanoreefer1000
11/29/2012, 05:57 PM
CW + RB + CB = no red spectrum = I would rather get a led with NW or CW + WW

tjdouglas
12/08/2012, 04:40 AM
Now that both of my Blunova units are in working order I find that I am becoming very fond of the Nature Sync technology. I love that I can sync the sunrise/sunsets to real-time (or change it if I want to). And the cloud effects is very cool too.

TSJSREEF
12/20/2012, 10:32 PM
My lights and controller are still at Starkled. Hoping to try everything out soon.

Teri One
01/09/2013, 03:15 PM
Has anyone been able to uptade the wireless controller's sofware??? 'caues I haven't tried it yet... I don't want to mess things up... I think I'll be switching over to radion 2nd gen for my new tank...

TSJSREEF
01/12/2013, 10:30 PM
Starkled fixed both of my lights and my wireless controller. It's only been running for a day but everything is working. I did the naturesync mode and the lights are running exactly like my current weather conditions.