PDA

View Full Version : Setup and issue

quan325i
07/12/2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Kevin,

I finally setup my system but I have a few questions. I order the complete bundle with REnew, STorm and top off.
1. According to the picture from the website, I missing a few sensors. What I received was just two sensors, 4 mounting brackets and 2 5/8" extension tubes

2. I setup just the renew system with two provided sensor last night. Everything seems as I setup using the Advanced mode at 5gal/week schedule. This morning I came out to check and the controller is NOT responsive. No light except the Reset/OFF light illuminated. I did a reset using the switch as well as unplug the unit but it doesn't help.

Please advise as I'm leaving my house in 3 days. Thanks.

QN

GenesisReefSys
07/12/2012, 09:57 AM
Hi QN,

I'll answer your questions with the same numbered format as you started:

1. The RENEW™ Pro is shipped with two standalone level sensors, two 15" vertical members, and four sensor shrouds. The STORM™ Pro is shipped with six level sensors, six shrouds, and six 7.5" vertical members. Is it possible that your STORM™ sensors, shrouds, and vertical members may have been set aside and misplaced since you only appear to have those included with the RENEW™? Due to the nature of our packaging of the STORM™, it would be nearly impossible for those parts to have been left out of the box. However, let me know and we'll get you taken care of.

2. We'll get a new RENEW™ Control Module out to you right away, along with a return label for the existing control module.

Please respond via email to [email protected] since that is a much quicker way for us to communicate.

Thanks,
Kevin

quan325i
07/12/2012, 10:58 AM
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response.
1. You are right and I was stupid for not checking the Storm box. I have everything I need. It was my oversight.
2. Thanks you. If it cost extra to overnight it, please let me know as I'd like to get it asap.

QN

GenesisReefSys
07/12/2012, 01:06 PM
Hi QN,

Obviously you aren't stupid!!! Overlooking the components was just a simple, honest mistake.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the RENEW™ control module not working properly. Quality, reliability, and customer service are our primary objectives and we work very hard to fulfill those goals. However, we have failed to deliver this to you and I am here to make it right as quickly as possible.

Your replacement control module has already shipped and you should receive it tomorrow afternoon.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Kevin

bnumair
07/12/2012, 01:37 PM
i am a proud owner of this system and trust me you wont be disappointed in the system not he companies customer service.just had to say it.

GenesisReefSys
07/12/2012, 02:49 PM
i am a proud owner of this system and trust me you wont be disappointed in the system not he companies customer service.just had to say it.

Hi bnumair,

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I hope you meant to say "you won't be disappointed in the system nor the customer service!" :)

bnumair
07/12/2012, 04:09 PM
lol a small typo can change the whole meaning of the sentence. let me try again and thanks for the correction.

"i am proud owner of the genesis renew+storm+rvoc pro system for last 1 and half yr. i am very pleased with the unit and OP will not be disappointed in it either. Customer service is excellent."

quan325i
07/19/2012, 05:12 AM
I'd like to report back my experience with Genesis Reef Systems and its customer service. By far, this is the best customer service that I ever had. Kevin is awesome in responding to my questions and went beyond my expectation to get things setup. I'm now relying on the genesis renew to keep my system running while i'm away from home in the next 12 weeks. I do understand murphy law and i'm keeping my fingers cross but this Renew system allows me to no bothering my good friend at work to do water change. My only concern is the event of power outage. Does anyone experience how the Renew handle unscheduled power outage? I do know from browsing through the threads that the storm stop the ro/di source but I couldn't find any info on the Renew setup in this situation. Thanks in advance.

QN

GenesisReefSys
07/19/2012, 07:00 AM
Does anyone experience how the Renew handle unscheduled power outage? I do know from browsing through the threads that the storm stop the ro/di source but I couldn't find any info on the Renew setup in this situation. Thanks in advance.

QN

Thanks, QN!

In the event of a power outage, your STORM™ will actually resume exactly as it was before the power outage. We made some enhancements to the power recovery features in firmware.

The RENEW™ will halt water changes, though. This is because it won't know where it was in an exchange cycle or how far along in the total water change it was when the power was lost. The RENEW™ will remember the total number of gallons set, the duration, and whether it should automatically repeat, so all your tank sitter needs to do to restart the change is simply press the yellow button.

Have a good trip!
Kevin

quan325i
07/20/2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info, Kevin. Would this be a new firmware feature in the future? It would essentially minimize the supervision to the lowest level Basically, if there's a power loss event, they system would restart using the previously programmed setting. I'll continue to update my experience but so far so very good. Thanks.

QN

GenesisReefSys
07/23/2012, 06:21 AM
Hello QN,

I'm not sure if this will be modified in future firmware, since it's also there as a safety feature. We'll have to heavily weigh the pros and cons before implementing any change in this functionality. We've discussed it before and decided to not have the RENEW™ automatically resume after a power cycle, but there are also obvious benefits to doing so. Foremost, though, is the old adage "first, do no harm." We want to make sure that by automatically resuming operation of the RENEW™ after a power outage that there is no possibility of a negative impact on your aquarium system. For instance, if the power was off long enough, a person could possibly refill their mixing bin using a RO filter and a float valve, preparing to perform a large water change when the power came back on. If the power came back on before they mixed the salt in, the RENEW™ would resume as though everything was exactly as it was prior to the power outage, not "knowing" that the salinity was not correct. The potential result would be an accidental hyposalinity treatment on your display tank!

We'll definitely give it some consideration, and if implemented in a future firmware version we'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Kevin