PDA

View Full Version : How many uses out of holesaw?

JMurphy97
07/12/2012, 12:40 PM
I have a holesaw I used once to drill a tank and I'm doing another tank. Is there a limit to how many times you should use one before they become dull?

Entropy
07/12/2012, 12:46 PM
There is definately a limit, but it depends on the quality of the bit, how you use it, and what you are using it for. As long as you have a decent bit, drill slowly, and keep it cool (wet the entire time) I would expect at least 20 holes out of a bit. If you use a hi spee drill and let it overheat you might not even get one hole if drilling a thick tank.

JMurphy97
07/12/2012, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's cool to type names but it's a glass-holes and I used it once on a 29. Glass is not too thick. I'm drilling a 40 breeder. I went slow when I used it and kept it in water just like the paper said to do.

Entropy
07/12/2012, 01:07 PM
You should be fine then. The biggest mistake I have seen is getting impatient and trying to grind through the glass quickly. The same goes from pretty much any drill bit on and material. Heat is a drill bit killer.

rrasco
07/12/2012, 01:25 PM
You should get a few holes out of their bits, depending on what size tanks you drill. I have several of them. After I was on my 3rd hole for a 1.5" bulkhead on a 210 (1/2 glass) the bit started wearing a bit thin. I've drilled multiple holes in a 40 with one of their bits, I think I even used it on the 210 for 2 more as well.

When the bit starts to wear you will notice the diamond dust starts to smooth out and there are less particles there to grind down the glass.

James77
07/12/2012, 05:49 PM
You will know when they dull, it takes forever to drill a hole when they do. As said, no real rule....how its used matters greatly. I had one of the cheap ones from BulkReefSupply or similar, and I got about 14 or 15 holes before the slowness got to me. That was using water and medium speed with very minimal pressure.

terancevan88
07/12/2012, 05:50 PM
Glory hole

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

rsg4
07/12/2012, 09:25 PM
Glory hole

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

You Jack from the tv show Gold Rush?

iamwrasseman
07/12/2012, 10:47 PM
cheap bits from glass holes run fine for the first five or six holes and it falls off pretty fast after that . i would say throw them away after eight or nine holes in 1/4" glass or smaller,maybe six holes for the thicker larger tanks .it really boils down to how much time you want to waist , for the money i cut six holes and then give them away to someone to make them feel "special" !