PDA

View Full Version : no cycle ?

TomoHawks
07/12/2012, 03:06 PM
now i am new but have been reading none stop and watching vids on you tube , asking some things on here but all stat that the cycle will happen and all is not ready till the end of this cycle .

then................

i seen some info stating if you have used live sand and live rock ( from LFS and was in a tank and has been for a fair few days atleast ) to set up your tank then a cycle may never happen due to lack of die off to start it off ?

so do you add a clean up crew or a bit of shrimp to start the cycle so to speak

i did look but seen no info on this :reading:

thank you

Entropy
07/12/2012, 03:28 PM
The object of the cycle is to get the bacteria levels built up. You can cheat with live rock that is already established if you move it from one tank to another and keep it wet (submerged if possible), but we are talking rock that has been in a tank several months or more, not days. Usually this would be from someone taking down their tank. I wouldn't try it will live sand though. Live sand that is moved tends to unleash a lot of bad stuff. I have done this in the past and avoided cycling the tank completely, but that is a rare case IMO, and my tank was very lightly stocked. The more established rock you move, the better your chance.

sponger0
07/12/2012, 04:14 PM
Set it up. Wait for the cycle to happen. Usually a month. Then add clean up crew.

Perfect example, I just setup a new tank with live rock from a existing system and Im having a cycle. You cant tell until the tank chemistry does it's thing.

EzReef79
07/12/2012, 05:58 PM
Wait for the cycle....rushing things will only cost you more money. There are products like Dr Tim's One and Only which contain the bacteria you need for you tank and claim (never tried it) an instant cycle. Maybe you can give that try.

terancevan88
07/12/2012, 06:01 PM
I used about half used water, a scoop of sand from some friends, and love rock mine cycled in about 2 Weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

VectorAKA
07/12/2012, 06:32 PM
^^same

TjwBlake
07/12/2012, 06:48 PM
2 week cycles are more the exception.
Your cycle lasts as long as it takes to get your ammonia and nitrites to 0 at which point you can do your water change to reduce your nitrates, that never changes...
That will take as long as it takes 1 week, 3 weeks, 2 months...

BTW.. water from an established tank does nothing. your bacteria are in the live rock and sand