PDA

View Full Version : Do anemone's need light if in QT? Pic

Reefahholic
07/14/2012, 08:33 PM
I don't know what kind this is, but how long would you QT. Or do you QT at all?

Do you dip them?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/30b3036f.jpg

ajcanale
07/14/2012, 08:46 PM
That's gotta be a condy. I could be wrong but i wouldn't see the need to QT an anemone unless attached to rock, and definitely wouldn't dip it. Either way no big loss, thats like the Geo Metro of anemones.

Reefahholic
07/14/2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, he was cheap.

Reefahholic
07/14/2012, 08:54 PM
Is it dangerous other than stinging?

CoralReeferGal
07/14/2012, 09:00 PM
They aren't clown fish compatible (I learned the hard way, after Petco told me they were...) It looks like a purple Haitian condy. Other than stinging and eating fish, its not dangerous.

Reefahholic
07/14/2012, 09:04 PM
Will it eat the fish in my QT?

I've always liked the white and purple! Next is RBT NEM!

CoralReeferGal
07/14/2012, 09:11 PM
that I'm not positive. The clown tried to host, and it became dinner instead of a house guest lol... that was the first thing besides corals that were put in the tank (he had just corals for years, and we only started fish and other stuff in the last 2 years) we did have a few fish go missing while it was still in there, but that continued after he was gone, so I can't say for sure if the condy ate them or not, since they still went missing after he was gone. Possible, sure, but I'm not betting on it under the circumstances. I would think as long as the fish don't get too close (what fish does, besides clowns anyway? LOL) they should be OK, but don't hold me to it if you try!

CoralReeferGal
07/14/2012, 09:17 PM
found this: http://www.thereeftank.com/compare-invertebrate/condylactis-anemone/reviews/

seems to be varying reviews, some say it ate their fish, others say even in a small tank it didn't bother fish who got close to it. It would probably be a real hit or miss mission. They are beautiful nems though, and i LOVE that one you got... very vibrant colors! Wish they were clown compatible. Oh, and they are super fun to feed! I loved feeding and watching it eat! Would grab the chunks of meat and pull it in... very cool.

Now that I'm thinking about it, they aren't overly aggressive, so I don't know that I see a difference in having any kind of nem in the tank with other fish. The condy isn't going to go hunting in your tank looking for fish to eat. I don't think any fish besides clowns really get close enough to be eaten anyway, do they? Really, it wouldn't be any different than the fact I have a carpet nem and other fish; the carpet doesn't eat the other fish because they know not to get close enough to be grabbed LOL

Reefahholic
07/14/2012, 09:32 PM
Seems happy and acclimated...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/ff3c695e.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/3e28f932.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/ba6a75c6.jpg

Neptunes World
07/15/2012, 12:08 AM
From what I read, they require VERY strong light.

Reefahholic
07/15/2012, 12:21 AM
Well I guess I should take him back.

Neptunes World
07/15/2012, 12:26 AM
Well, just do a little reading and double check on that to make sure. I believe that is one reason I didnt get one.

CoralReeferGal
07/15/2012, 12:41 AM
"Minimum recommended lighting levels would be 50/50 (actinic/10,000k daylight bulbs) power compacts in tanks with standard depth (24 inches) and HO, VHO or Metal Halides in deeper tanks." but also found: "Not a good choice for reef tanks because they can sting other sessile animals in the tank. They can also sting and harm smaller fish. Anemones that are dying are believed to release toxins into the water that can harm or even kill tank inhabitants."

Another site said they require "medium" lighting.

Reefahholic
07/15/2012, 12:45 AM
Those idiots at the LFS said it didn't need light.

I'm waiting on my lights, so I'll take him back and if he dies in the process, they better give me a free fish. :)

Jim.mer
07/15/2012, 12:47 AM
Best thing would be is take it back, I had one and although very pretty also very dangerous.

Reefahholic
07/15/2012, 03:45 AM
Best thing would be is take it back, I had one and although very pretty also very dangerous.

Very Dangerous in what way?

Reefahholic
07/15/2012, 03:57 AM
I found some info from Live Aquaria..

That guy at the LFS straight out lied to me. Wow...I wasn't planning on getting anything (just looking around) and he was like why...I said I'm waiting on my lights, so he's like these don't need any light...lol

I should have known better...lesson learned!

I usually research everything I do to a T..........but the time I slack, it bites me. Thank goodness I only paid $21.64 :)

The Haitian Reef Anemone, also known as the Pink-Tip Condy, is found near Haiti, in lagoons or on inner reefs, as individuals, or loose groups. It is never found in connected clusters. It has a red column with long, tapering, pink-tipped tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance. Generally it likes to bury the base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection.

The Haitian Reef Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although an Anemone requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Haitian Reef Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.

The diet should include feedings of fish, mussels, shrimp, or other foods of this type.