PDA

View Full Version : Help..........!

Coop37
07/14/2012, 08:42 PM
Hi so I'm really new to the saltwater reef world and my tank just took a total nose dive this afternoon and I'm a bit worried:worried2:.
My wife bought me a petsmart special for xmas... Thanx babe.... it said on the box can be setup as fresh or salt:rolleyes:, I went salt, after buying live sand, live rocks 20 gals of saltwater and ran it for a month, I was told it will work but it's really not ment for salt. Well I started it and everything has been going great lots of kool new life and color that fresh just can't give,
I changed the light to make my corals happy, could have just bought a bio cube for the price....smh:rolleyes:
And here come my troubles, bought a new hang on back filter, one with a bio wheel, I was told that would be a better filter to have instead of the topfin pos I had and now my tank is supper cloudy and I'm kinds worried, should I be ?

krzyphsygy
07/14/2012, 08:54 PM
If I am getting this correct....It does NOT matter the type of tank, it can be fresh or salt. The tank does not make a difference except a very small Aqueon 2.5 gallon. There is something in the way it was built per the Aqueon rep that makes it not suitable for salt.

As far as the bio wheel goes, a hang on filter is usually fine for saltwater....not a perferred filtration but just fine. If it was me....I would return the bio wheel to Petsmart and get the Hagan Aqua Clear rated for that tank. Petsmart will return it, they are good like that. I have used the Aqua Clear on smaller Salt tanks for many years, and currently use one on a Quarenteen tank.

The cloudiness could be several things....the new filter pad in the filter, the added flow of water in the tank, where the directional flow is hitting,.

What are your water perameters?

Mmiller40gt
07/14/2012, 09:56 PM
It's cycling. What kind of light did you buy for "corals". Most stuff at petsmart is not meant for coral. Are you using tap water? Honestly ditch the filter and get a HOB skimmer.
NAC5E. Seller on eBay accepting 115$ offers. (free ship).