PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this Algae

Croniss
07/15/2012, 10:46 AM
Hello, I noticed this algae growing a few weeks ago but with my lack of knowledge base i left it in hopes that it was a beneficial macro algae that would eat up the nitrates. I looked into different types of bubble algae growths and now i am confused as to what i have in my tank any information would be appreciated. Im trying to clear up the tank with reduced feedings and shorter light periods. Also if anyone has any thoughts on the product ALGONE id love to hear opinions of it, ive been using it for 2 months but i now feel like my tank is dependant on the stuff and have to keep replacing the packets.

zachfishman
07/15/2012, 04:41 PM
I recommend an urchin.

thegrun
07/15/2012, 04:45 PM
The majority of the algae I see is Filament Algae (Hair Algae) but there is also some what appears to be Cladophoropsis (a Turf Algae). Neither is desirable, what sized clean-up crew do you have, what sized tank, what are your chemistry parameters and your lighting schedule?

Croniss
07/15/2012, 05:41 PM
The majority of the algae I see is Filament Algae (Hair Algae) but there is also some what appears to be Cladophoropsis (a Turf Algae). Neither is desirable, what sized clean-up crew do you have, what sized tank, what are your chemistry parameters and your lighting schedule?

My tank is a 55 gal with 4 t5 54w bulbs 2 blues and 2 days, I run the lights on a single timer from 10am-7pm, i have the lights all come on at once because the fixture i have is a marine land 48" deluxe and the switch on it is the only adjustable part, therefore if i put it on a timer only the power source is adjusted not the switch. My hopes are that being set to 10 am allows enough ambient light to kinda wake up the fish gently. The tank doesn't really receive any direct sunlight.

Clean up crew is minimal because they keep dying off i have roughly 10 red legged hermits (lost track from die off)
1 Trochus snail

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitate ~10
Phos 0
dKH 8
Calcium was over 520
I also keep a packet of algone in there switching it every 4-7 days

i have about 25lbs of live rock with 40lbs dry in there and 40lbs live sand

the tank has been going for 4 months total now

livestock
1 Clown
1 Coral Beauty
1 Watchman Gobi

Fish_King_25
07/15/2012, 06:32 PM
Definitely need to up the clean up crew. I would get a nice mix of Turnos,astreas, and Nassarius snails. Together they will take care of your rock,glass,and sand. Another piece of advice I would give is don't keep adding hermits as they die off. IMO and IME, hermits are kind of a waste when snails do just as good of a job, if not better. I would stick with snails, a nice mix, and even a pepoermint shrimp or two.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Yomidr19
07/15/2012, 06:37 PM
i recommend an urchin.

+1

Croniss
07/15/2012, 08:21 PM
Definitely need to up the clean up crew. I would get a nice mix of Turnos,astreas, and Nassarius snails. Together they will take care of your rock,glass,and sand. Another piece of advice I would give is don't keep adding hermits as they die off. IMO and IME, hermits are kind of a waste when snails do just as good of a job, if not better. I would stick with snails, a nice mix, and even a pepoermint shrimp or two.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Last time I bought snails I had 2 turbos, 2 margaritas, and 2 turbos they all died except for one. The deaths were not all at one it seemed like each snail would stop moving/eating and eventually fall off the glass only to have me put them back on it for what seemed like an agonizing week until they would die. I'm switching tanks and substrate in 2 weeks to a 75 and using caribsea special grade seaflor reef sand if I get a bunch of nassarius will they still sift the sand efficiently? Also do any snails eat poop? It seems like the hermits make little turds everywhere and don't clean up after themselves. What's the cause of these snail deaths? Only my turbo snail has survived my reign of terror for 4 months is he just amazing or am I a snail murderer?

Steve175
07/16/2012, 06:49 AM
Definitely hair algae. Plenty of threads.

Typically: feed less, better skimming, and more frequent water changes. Export as much of it as you can (pull it off and throw it out). One option is to fill 2 buckets during a water change. Take out each rock, one by one, scrub it in one bucket with a wire brush and then rinse it in the 2nd before putting it back.

Adding things to eat it usually won't work (at least by itself), because the nitrate and phosphate is recycled by the critter and not removed.

Your nitrates and phosphate are zero because hair algae is extremely efficient at taking it up.

Someone will chime in shortly (like clockwork) regarding use of hydrogen peroxide which I personally would not recommend.

I would recommend against adding any more chemicals (unless you count GFO) to the tank for this problem.

Nearly all of us have dealt with this at one time or another: don't get discouraged.