PDA

View Full Version : Starfish ID?

Orion2012
07/15/2012, 11:42 AM
I know it's hard to ID with out a picture but they are small and my light does not help. I do love that everyone has been a great help on my question and for that I thank you!!! My tank has been setup for a while so I decided to add a little more live rock. After a month I noticed this new live rock had little grey and black banded arms that would wrap around the rock and pull it's self out of a dark crevice. There are two in different crevices on different sides of the rock. After feeding they go back in. I'm almost sure they are either brittle or maybe serpant stars but they have not pulled themselves out far enought for me to see the central disk. They go crazy at feeding time for sure.

rssjsb
07/15/2012, 12:51 PM
It sounds like a little brittle star. They're good clean up crew members that will multiply in your tank. They don't ever get much bigger. You'll probably never see the whole thing, as they usually get in the rock and stick out only their arms.

cloak
07/15/2012, 02:10 PM
I know it's hard to ID with out a picture but they are small and my light does not help. I do love that everyone has been a great help on my question and for that I thank you!!! My tank has been setup for a while so I decided to add a little more live rock. After a month I noticed this new live rock had little grey and black banded arms that would wrap around the rock and pull it's self out of a dark crevice. There are two in different crevices on different sides of the rock. After feeding they go back in. I'm almost sure they are either brittle or maybe serpant stars but they have not pulled themselves out far enought for me to see the central disk. They go crazy at feeding time for sure.

Check this out.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml