PDA

View Full Version : Input on my 53 gallon build please

Jdev
07/15/2012, 02:35 PM
Hey all, I posted in the welcome section (quoted so I don't have to retype the info):
Hello all! I'm new to salt but have been keeping fresh water tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons (heated, filtered betta tank) up to 55 gallons (tropical semi-aggressive community) and several sizes in between (more , shrimp, and live bearers).

I have decided to move to having on one tank, and that it will be my first salt water tank. It is a 53 gallon "hexagon". It is a hex in that it has 6 sides, but it is essentially a 55 gallon with diagonal front corners. It will have a 10 gallon DIY sump. I am still undecided on stocking, but know I want corals.

I have read most of what was discussed (that I didn't already know) in the new tank threads, and now was hoping for some more personal input on my specific set up. I am going to start it as a FOWLR to learn salt for a few months and then in December-ish start adding corals.

Here is what I am thinking for my set up (suggestions and tweaks appreciated!):

1. 53 gallon tank
2. 10 gallon DIY sump
3. Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer
4. 40 lbs live sand, 20 lbs. inert sand
5. 50 (ish) lbs. of live rock
6. 2 24" T8 or T12 (not sure which they are) lights (will upgrade to either T5 or LED before coral addition)
7. Undecided overflow
8. Undecided return pump (maxi jet 400 maybe?)
9. Potentially a DIY algae scrubber in sump
10. In sump refugium.

So what are your thoughts on my set up? I have included some crude drawings of what I am planning.

Also, as shown in my design drawings, I have a Rena Filstar XP2. I understand that canisters are not really advantageous in reef systems, so I was wondering if there was any way to utilize it or canabalize the parts into something that is useful. In the mock up, I would be using it with no media in it (other than maybe some carbon) to transport water from the refugium into the main sump.

rbennett15
07/15/2012, 04:32 PM
if you are planning to have coral you should skip the t-8 or t-12 and get t-5s. Also try to make your sump larger. I have a 40B and i have a 20L sump. for the overflow id personally go with drilling the tank.

Fish_King_25
07/15/2012, 04:37 PM
+1 on the T5s,even though it seems like everyone is going LEDs, T5s are still extremely capable of growing all types of corals. The sump should probably be at least a 20g IMO.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

thegrun
07/15/2012, 04:57 PM
Also use all dry sand. Most of the "live" sand you purchase has more dead than live organics in it. Unless you are purchasing the sand from someones established aquarium (which presents its own unique set of potential problems), just stick with dry sand. A small Maxijet pump will not work as a return pump, it can't overcome the head pressure. Look fo a Mag pump or better yet an Eheim.

fishmonkey
07/15/2012, 05:24 PM
IMO don't buy all live rock. Buy mostly base rock (dead rock) and then seed it with a little bit of live rock once the rock has finished cycling. Also do not use "live" sand. After sitting in a bag for so long, it is not live in the slightest.
Definitely see if you can drill the tank, it is much better than dealing with an overflow.

Fish_King_25
07/15/2012, 06:34 PM
IMO don't buy all live rock. Buy mostly base rock (dead rock) and then seed it with a little bit of live rock once the rock has finished cycling. Also do not use "live" sand. After sitting in a bag for so long, it is not live in the slightest.
Definitely see if you can drill the tank, it is much better than dealing with an overflow.

+1 with this entire post. Well said

Jdev
07/15/2012, 07:02 PM
I already have the lights, I got them for free if I were purchasing them, I would go straight to the T5. Holding off on the lights until December when i start keeping coral is giving me more money for my skimmer, sump, and other items now right now. My original plan was to use a 20 long for the sump, but my cabinet in my stand is only 10.5" wide, so a 10 gallon is the widest tank I can fit. Noted about the pump. Would I need a mag 3 or 5? Thanks for the tips on the live rock and live sand. The owner of the lfs was really pushing the live sand.

So should I do like 40 lbs bas rock 10 lbs live, all dead sand, and a mag 3? Any other adjustments since I really can't do much about the sump situation?

afamousjohnson
07/15/2012, 07:03 PM
Also use all dry sand. Most of the "live" sand you purchase has more dead than live organics in it. Unless you are purchasing the sand from someones established aquarium (which presents its own unique set of potential problems), just stick with dry sand. A small Maxijet pump will not work as a return pump, it can't overcome the head pressure. Look fo a Mag pump or better yet an Eheim.

+1 with both. I used dry sand and seeded also dry rock and seeded. Usually makes for a bit smoother cycle. My 1st tank was a hex. Leave yourself room when you scape to clean. Was always my down fall. I finished making my sump a few months ago and your idea needs bigger. Have you set the 10g down and drawn it out in it or better yet put any of those pieces of equiptment in a 10g to see how space was. I went with a 40g sump and still don't have the room.
On another note(don't quote me on this but) I thought I remembered hearing something about not running both algea scrubber and fuge?? Again not 100% so look into that one yourself.
Good luck main. Prolly gonna love it.

Jdev
07/15/2012, 07:07 PM
+1 with both. I used dry sand and seeded also dry rock and seeded. Usually makes for a bit smoother cycle. My 1st tank was a hex. Leave yourself room when you scape to clean. Was always my down fall. I finished making my sump a few months ago and your idea needs bigger. Have you set the 10g down and drawn it out in it or better yet put any of those pieces of equiptment in a 10g to see how space was. I went with a 40g sump and still don't have the room.
On another note(don't quote me on this but) I thought I remembered hearing something about not running both algea scrubber and fuge?? Again not 100% so look into that one yourself.
Good luck main. Prolly gonna love it.

Again, I had planned on a larger sump, but a 10 is all that will fit in my stand and I have nowhere else to put it

afamousjohnson
07/15/2012, 07:10 PM
Have you thought of putting another cool lower long stand next to your system and you could use the top for things and run your overflow to it in the lower part??

afamousjohnson
07/15/2012, 07:23 PM
Also if your trying to save space you could get a hang on the back fuge-that would deffinitly help out on the 10g idea and add more water volume which is a +. Most fuges can look messy so if you like the clean look you could create it into its own lil system with a bunch of bright macro algae. And than run skimmer chamber baffle return. Also the return is were you get your evaporation so think of that when building. I think I could've made my return chamber a lil bigger.

Jdev
07/15/2012, 08:12 PM
I have an unoccupied 5 gallon that will fit under with the 10. Can I encorperate that as the fuge? Maybe raise it up, slightly higher than the ten and have portion of the tank water divert to the fuge, and have the 5 drain to the sump.

My furniture layout in the room with the tank doesn't allow for another stand.

Fish_King_25
07/15/2012, 09:19 PM
My opinion is if you don't have the room for more than a 10g...get a small in sump skimmer, or a HOB. If you go HOB with a skimmer, then do a 2 chamber sump, with a fuge. If you go with an in sump skimmer that will fit, then do the fuge HOB. Either way, you will probably be able to do one in sump, one HOB, and still maximize the use of such a small sump. We can tell you its too small all day and night, but if you don't have the room, you don't have the room.

Jdev
07/15/2012, 09:58 PM
Ya, I agree it is too small and I would love a larger one. The one way i could fit a larger is to move my tv wall mount 16" to the next stud so I could put my tank next to the coat closet and plumb through the wall and put the sump in the coat closet. Now, I am not opposed this as I could easily fit a 40 breeder in there, but my wide is none to fond of the idea.

Michigan Mike
07/16/2012, 06:38 AM
I'd use the 5 gallon as an ato for the sump.

Jdev
07/16/2012, 11:13 AM
Now, if I do a HOB skimmer or fuge, would I be able to hang it on the sum or does it have to hang on the display tank?