PDA

View Full Version : Gut Loaded Furan Brine Shrimp

eholceker
07/15/2012, 06:56 PM
I figured I would post this here. One of my red spot cardinals developed bilateral pop-eye. There is no way I can catch this fish in a 125. I am down to 2 options here. Figuring out a way to treat the fish in a fully loaded reef tank or letting the fish waste away. The good news is the fish is eating with a full appetite. I was thinking if I can somehow get the antibiotics into the fish it would help. Do you think I can add some antibiotic powder to a cup of brine shrimp? Will the brine shrimp eat the antibiotic and then I can feed the fish the gut loaded food. I was trying to get some of the Dr's G's antiobiotic food but it is not available anywhere here in NJ.

b0bab0ey
07/15/2012, 08:09 PM
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't risk it. Even if the brine shrimp were to ingest some of the Furan (which I highly doubt), some of the active ingredients would no doubt find their way into the water column and possibly damage your corals/inverts.

Epsom salt (1 Tablespoon per 5 gal) is reef safe and will help ease the swelling. However, bilateral usually means infection and the epsom salt won't help with that. More info below:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/popeyefaqs.htm

eholceker
07/15/2012, 08:21 PM
Definitly a risk here but I know with seahorses the gut load brine with metrodonizole. I think Brine shrimp will filter out anything from the water. I may give it a try tomorrow. I have polypads as well as 30 gallons of fresh saltwater going. I used epsom salt on friday with no change.

b0bab0ey
07/15/2012, 08:44 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it all turns out.