PDA

View Full Version : Apex eB8 question

gunlocators
07/15/2012, 07:12 PM
Ok I have my Apex setup for the net and email ect now I am starting to arrange everything on the EB8 I understand if i am correct outlets 4 and 8 is hard start outlet and the other 6 are soft start outlet. I think thats what I read. Ok here is what i have to power and wanted you guys suggestions on what outlets to use.

Metal Halide Lighting
Super Actic Lighting
CPR REfugium Lighting
Skimmer
Heater
Return Pump
Tunze Osmolator Auto Top Off
Hood Fan

Also I am wondering since my tunze osmotator ATO is self ran should I free up that from EB8 and plug direct in the wall? That would free up that outlet for something else. Is there and references on how to setup based on others that have a simular setup...

RussM
07/15/2012, 07:26 PM
There is no real need to have the Osmolator plugged into the EB8, as you noted. The only real advantage to doing to is that you could limit the times the ATO can run. Some people do do that, but I prefer to just let a standalone ATO do it's thing as designed - especially a good reliable one like the Tunze.

More specifically, outlets 1-3 and 5-7 use a solid-sate switch called a TRIAC; soft-start is one of their features. Outlets 4 & 8 used relays, which do not have a soft-start capability. I can't say I ever heard of them being described as "hard-start", only as "not soft start" :)

I don't see obvious in what you listed that would not work on either type of outlet. I would use the TRIAC-based outlets as much as possible, leaving outlets 4 & 8 for devices which have a very low power draw such as dosing pumps or small powerheads - TRIACs may not work reliably with such devices.

rockdoc2010
08/06/2013, 06:26 PM
Once again RUSS You've saved my tank!

I was personaly dosing vodka last night but after confirming my programming was correct and observing the apex turning on the correct outlets on both dosing pumps at the right time......

they don't turn off. Apex states an off condition, program is correct but the TRIAC outlets aren't sensitive enough to register such a low current draw as you have stated as for these 1.1ml BSR dosers.

Luckily the cumulative spike in alkalinity has subsided (didnt even catch the fact it was still running for unknown minutes a couple of days ago)

EB8 Roulette...

Thanks again!
Douglas:beer:

joeang
08/12/2013, 06:16 AM
If you want your powerheads to soft start you must use plug 1-3 or 5-7 so how do you program them to soft start new to the apex controller and I would like my hydro wave powerheads to soft start so that loud click might stop. Help!

RussM
08/13/2013, 06:31 PM
If you want your powerheads to soft start you must use plug 1-3 or 5-7 so how do you program them to soft start new to the apex controllerYou don't have to do anything extra - just plug them into outlet 1-3 or 5-7.