PDA

View Full Version : Will clownfish host anything else

shane reef
07/15/2012, 07:18 PM
Will clownfish host other things besides anemones? If so what and how do you get them to host??

CoralReeferGal
07/15/2012, 07:21 PM
powerheads, corals, etc. LOL If there was a trick to "get them to host" something else, mine wouldn't be hosting in my power heads right now... hopefully maybe someone else has a tip, I'd like to know too. I was told to "bother" her when she's behind the power heads, so she doesn't like it there anymore, but no tips on how to get her to choose the nem.

Many people say that clowns in corals can hurt the coral, but from the people I have talked to said it's not that common to cause damage, or at least not noticeable or life threatening damage.

blackbeltmom
07/15/2012, 07:27 PM
Mine have hosted duncans, hammer coral, torch coral, xenia, and I have my baby picasso and my true percula now hosting one of my Wellso.

shane reef
07/15/2012, 07:34 PM
So they change between corals?

blackbeltmom
07/15/2012, 07:43 PM
So they change between corals?

Yes, the ones I have now have moved from the duncan to the brain.

The mated pair that I had in another tank, killed two torches, then killed my favorite hammer. I then gave them some xenia to keep them from loving anything else to death. I lucked up and they hosted it.

I had a gold strip maroon once that I offered her about four different bubble tips before she would host anything. When she finally hosted, she hosted two.

CoralReeferGal
07/15/2012, 07:45 PM
I had a gold strip maroon once that I offered her about four different bubble tips before she would host anything. When she finally hosted, she hosted two.

Do you have only corals, or any nems? I just got a gold stripe maroon, and she won't leave the power heads except to swim around for a few mins. We have both a nem as well as corals she could host in. Any tips?

Elvishfrost
07/15/2012, 07:46 PM
I had a pair of B/W Clowns that hosted my grapefruit sized brain coral. They were mighty protective of it too.

blackbeltmom
07/15/2012, 07:53 PM
Do you have only corals, or any nems? I just got a gold stripe maroon, and she won't leave the power heads except to swim around for a few mins. We have both a nem as well as corals she could host in. Any tips?

That was in my 100 gallon that I used to have. I had anemones and corals in that tank.

It might be a blessing that she is not hosting. GSM's are mean. Once my started hosting, she wanted nothing in her space. That nothing included my hand. She would bite me whenever I got near her. The anemones were in the front center of the tank, she had kind of picked that space before I put the anemones there (couldn't believe they stayed). She was protective before the anemones. She would move any rocks or corals that I tried to put there. Actually flipped over a y wellso that I had and killed it. It got worse after she hosted the anemones.

As far as tips, I don't have any. I think finally hosted the two that she did because I got them to stay within her space. We used to call her Queenie. She ruled the tank.

CoralReeferGal
07/15/2012, 07:58 PM
Its funny what personality fish can have! (not funny what happened, just the fact of the matter) I chose a maroon because of their aggressiveness, I was advised if we wanted a clown, this would be our best choice due to what else we have in the tank (as well as that they get bigger than other clowns) I just hope she doesn't stay in the top corner of the tank forever :/ I kinda want to see her more often lol... theyre beautiful fish! I think she's pretty close to being my favorite so far.

blackbeltmom
07/15/2012, 08:07 PM
Its funny what personality fish can have! (not funny what happened, just the fact of the matter) I chose a maroon because of their aggressiveness, I was advised if we wanted a clown, this would be our best choice due to what else we have in the tank (as well as that they get bigger than other clowns) I just hope she doesn't stay in the top corner of the tank forever :/ I kinda want to see her more often lol... theyre beautiful fish! I think she's pretty close to being my favorite so far.

I've seen Percs and Ocellaris host carpets. I see in your signature that you have one. Maybe she will host it.

I do know that the favorite anemone of the GSM is the bubble tip.

CoralReeferGal
07/15/2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping. We had 2 misbar (not sure if they were occelaris or percs) and only one hosted the carpet. We're on the fence of getting rid of the carpet due to size. Apparently they should be in a min of 100 gal (I didn't know they had tank requirements like fish :() and if the carpet goes, a RBTA will come. That's my fiances favorite type of nem, but we won't but one in here now with the carpet.

blackbeltmom
07/15/2012, 08:41 PM
Carpets get huge, but then I have a friend with a 90 gallon and RBTA is huge. Probably 12 inches across.

thorden
01/14/2014, 07:36 PM
I see in the posts that clowns will host inorganic stuff, which is cool. My tank is too new for coral or an anemone. Is there something I can put in there for them? Like I've heard of some people using flower pots.
They just hang in the corner and ignore the live rock.

nogascans
01/14/2014, 08:01 PM
Here's a picture of my Orange Skunk Clownfish (Amphiprion sandaracinos) hosting a Colt Coral. This is the female of a pair. The male and female host both this and an adjacent Xenia colony. They do not, however, host a nearby Sebae Anemone ( also not a natural host)

Sincerely,

David

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad79/hdtvpioneer533hd5/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-12/Hosting%20Orange%20Skunk%20in%20Colt%20Coral_zpsr1fwvlud.jpg (http://s923.photobucket.com/user/hdtvpioneer533hd5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-12/Hosting%20Orange%20Skunk%20in%20Colt%20Coral_zpsr1fwvlud.jpg.html)

immortl
01/15/2014, 11:40 PM
By day my oscellaris are hosted by the duncan, by night, the yellow polyps. I did see the female nudging one of the two RBTAs the other evening, but nothing has come of it. Over a year now with the RBTAs and the clowns still haven't figured it out. Oh well.

Mateous
01/16/2014, 01:32 AM
I have a pair of percs that host a RBTA, took them a few months to figure it out but it happened. Now they (female mostly) will protect it with her life. Was trying to glue a frag one day when she came after my hand, needless to say she got her mouth glued shut. She's fine now but it scared the crap out of me.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/16/uve6a4y6.jpg

OrionN
01/16/2014, 06:54 AM
The clownfish is the tenant, the anemone is the host.

Clownfish can choose many thing to be associate with both living and non living. However, the affinity of clownfish to their natural host is great. In a natural host they often will not stray away more than 6 inches or so. See them frolicking in the tentacles of the anemone is.... there is nothing even close IMO/IME.

tommyz44
01/16/2014, 08:11 AM
My purcs loved hair algae -.- untill i was able to kill it off, then they took to my hairy mushrooms.

ryeguyy84
01/16/2014, 08:42 AM
mine seem to host my candy cane coral and completely ignore my anemone.

smtank
01/16/2014, 08:48 AM
I know it's no good but....

The only thing a clown fish host is parasites.

There I have said it and I feel better.

worm5406
01/17/2014, 12:32 AM
Not this video, but another one, caught my eye years ago so much I wanted a whole section of GSP. HAHAHAHA

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CoqMl9kN4Ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wiz careefa
01/17/2014, 02:17 PM
Mine stays in the clam when lights are on and goes in the corner at night