PDA

View Full Version : Green star polyps

shane reef
07/15/2012, 08:33 PM
So I like corals that move and I have seen this in other peoples tanks and I like how it moves. I hear alot of negitive things about having it in a tank. Can you keep it trimmed back to keep from taking over? I have a 29g jbj nano and dont want to have it over run tank. Any input will help.

Fish_King_25
07/15/2012, 08:42 PM
I have heard so many stories about GSP taking over, I'm sure that if your paramters are great it will definitely spread fast because it is such a hardy coral, but it is definitely possible to keep it trimmed. Frag it up and sell it on RC. Definitely a possibility. I put a small frag of it in my 29 about 6 weeks ago. It's doubled in size, and is almost completely covered the frag disc it came on, it will soon be moving to a display rock for me
Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Reefmedic79
07/15/2012, 09:00 PM
It's one of the easiest "Mat" corals to keep pruned, you can literally just peel it off the rock.

Michigan Mike
07/16/2012, 06:00 AM
I like to find a decent piece of dry rock that you can easily pull the gsp off when it gets big. I don't put it on good live rock but that's just me. Looks good on overflows and glass too.

mgargiullo
07/16/2012, 06:01 AM
Agreed... Just keep up with it... I glued some to my back wall and it's spreading nicely across the back of the tank... Looks really cool

Steve175
07/16/2012, 06:33 AM
If you are good with tank maintenance, it can be controlled. If you go too long, it will spread and is pretty good at killing what always seems to be your most expensive coral. If you get it, I would suggest keeping it on a rock isolated from others by sand (GSP island).

shovelrider
07/16/2012, 06:39 AM
I love GSP, they make a great addition to your tank as far as movement. Just keep your eye on them because they grow like weeds. I like to put them on dry rock as stated above and put them next to the glass or overflow so they attach and are super easy to trim once on the glass.

BamBam17
07/16/2012, 09:28 AM
GSP was my biggest regret...well, the fact that I put it on a rock that touched other rocks, so it spread all over. Just be careful where you place it, cause like everyone said, it grows like weeds

chad316
07/16/2012, 12:56 PM
Agreed... Just keep up with it... I glued some to my back wall and it's spreading nicely across the back of the tank... Looks really cool

^^This. I've seen a tank with the whole back wall covered in GSP...very nice look under moonlight LEDs for sure.

Mussin
07/16/2012, 01:04 PM
Any pics of GSP covering an overflow or back wall?

chad316
07/16/2012, 01:06 PM
It was just a tank I saw, so I didn't take any pics :( Others might have some...

TL1000RSquid
07/16/2012, 01:35 PM
I like GSP I just keep it off my main rock pile, as stated above it looks nice on a couple single rocks set in the sand bed.

worm5406
07/16/2012, 02:10 PM
After watching a video.. I was actually thinking about getting a GSP... http://youtu.be/iBLMNAxE5Vk

So.. I have a 120g with about 90lb of LR... Plenty of sand 'free space' that I could put it on. Will it stay away from the sand like lava to skywalker? or should I be worried about that?

I have the ability to make an island with sand all around it and still keep it from the rest of the rock.

mikehaase1norse
07/16/2012, 02:20 PM
very good starter coral, grows fast and easy to trim

njasmin
12/04/2012, 04:22 PM
I was just wondering for the people who actually attached gsp to the back wall...I'm thinking about doing this but i hear gsp can grow across sand...i have a good 4" in the back that is clear from any sort of rocks but if i had to trim it off the sand the bottom of the tank by the middle would be impossible to reach, does anyone that has success doing this had to trim the gsp off the sand?

horwitzs
12/04/2012, 04:32 PM
It can spread onto the sand but then u can just scoop it with a net, like a litterbox :)

Trent Jackson
12/04/2012, 07:33 PM
I was just wondering for the people who actually attached gsp to the back wall...I'm thinking about doing this but i hear gsp can grow across sand...i have a good 4" in the back that is clear from any sort of rocks but if i had to trim it off the sand the bottom of the tank by the middle would be impossible to reach, does anyone that has success doing this had to trim the gsp off the sand?

I glued a piece to back of the of my wall and its grown out nicely. If it out grows your tank, just trim it and sell it on Craigslist. May trade it in for credit at your LFS.

Go ahead and get it. You won't regret it till next year!

rovster
12/04/2012, 10:24 PM
If you are good with tank maintenance, it can be controlled. If you go too long, it will spread and is pretty good at killing what always seems to be your most expensive coral. If you get it, I would suggest keeping it on a rock isolated from others by sand (GSP island).

This...