PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sps issues. Browning and stn

A.VOID
07/16/2012, 05:50 AM
tank setup in March for primarily sps.
Started with Marco rocks, but I caught bryopsis somehow and I ran the mg treatment with 2200 ppm back in May. First sps added in June. Bryopsis is gone, but mg was still around 2000 in early June. Mg is now 1500.
Sps added in early May, early June and late June. About half - 2/3 are doing well, but seeing issues with the others:
Pink lemonade browned and hasn't colored back up and recently started stn.
Shades of fall isn't brown, but more brown then colored.
Misc purple has never colored and stayed brown and stnd.
Starting to see stn on a deep water.

Most others are healthy and decent growth with expected coloration. I even brought back a couple from near death (junk pile frags from lfs)

Parameters:
Sg: 1.025
Alk: 8.1 (brought this down from the middle 9s recently. It was mid 9s for months)
Ca: 390-410
Mg: 1500 (2200 in may)
Nitrates: 1.5 on kent
Phosphates: 0 on salifert (Kent was. 08 but I read that Kent had problems so I tried salifert) algae is non existent, so I tend to believe salifert.

Running 60 cube with 2 ai solution blues and 2 mp10s.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

kissman
07/16/2012, 06:06 AM
Your water could be to clean. Have you tried feeding them? I feed mine twice a week using Reef Chili from Bulkreefsupply. Do you have enough light?

A.VOID
07/16/2012, 06:27 AM
Your water could be to clean. Have you tried feeding them? I feed mine twice a week using Reef Chili from Bulkreefsupply. Do you have enough light?

I feed twice daily (once with Rods and once with flake.) I have 5 healthy pooping fish. Although I have considered nutrition to be an issue, which is why I brought the alk down around 8.
Not sure I classify this as ULNS, but it's the lowest of any tanks Ive run.

Lightwise >>> 2 AI SOL Blues over 24"x24"x24" is plenty, but not sure if my intensity is high enough/ balanced. I ramp up over 4 hours to about 60/55/60 (W/B/RB) and then ramp down over another 3 hours. THen I run twilighting (actinic-ish) for a couple hours. I do have one of my original acros from early May looking a little bleached. Ive moved it a few times, and I now have it mid-tank. He's growing well though and still colored tips. I'm just watching it for now to see if it bleaches more.

MHG
07/16/2012, 06:41 AM
I have had some stn issues on my 60g cube. Mostly high alk related.

People on RC will tell you your water is too clean. Inless you have any (ANY) posphates and nitrates, then they will tell you it is too dirty.... My stn issues seem to go away when I am less than 8dkh... The brownilg may be placement related. At least that is what my problem was...

kissman
07/16/2012, 06:59 AM
I feed twice daily (once with Rods and once with flake.) I have 5 healthy pooping fish. Although I have considered nutrition to be an issue, which is why I brought the alk down around 8.
Not sure I classify this as ULNS, but it's the lowest of any tanks Ive run.

Lightwise >>> 2 AI SOL Blues over 24"x24"x24" is plenty, but not sure if my intensity is high enough/ balanced. I ramp up over 4 hours to about 60/55/60 (W/B/RB) and then ramp down over another 3 hours. THen I run twilighting (actinic-ish) for a couple hours. I do have one of my original acros from early May looking a little bleached. Ive moved it a few times, and I now have it mid-tank. He's growing well though and still colored tips. I'm just watching it for now to see if it bleaches more.

I run 6 54w T5HO's over my 55g I know nothing about LEDS. So I am not sure of there intensity.

A.VOID
07/16/2012, 07:37 AM
I have had some stn issues on my 60g cube. Mostly high alk related.

People on RC will tell you your water is too clean. Inless you have any (ANY) posphates and nitrates, then they will tell you it is too dirty.... My stn issues seem to go away when I am less than 8dkh... The brownilg may be placement related. At least that is what my problem was...

So where are you keeping alk? 7.5-8?

elegance coral
07/16/2012, 09:52 AM
What filtration are you running, and what maintenance do you pull?

A.VOID
07/16/2012, 10:06 AM
Filtration = SKimmer and filter sock.
Not following the maintenance question. If you are asking about water changes, then I didn't do any for about a month after I raised Mg. (May-June) Since mid June Ive done 3 (mainly to get Mg down and I left town on vaca, so I wanted to ensure my PO4 didn't spike)

Bugger
07/16/2012, 02:46 PM
Just a question what is your tds reading on your RO.

A.VOID
07/16/2012, 05:36 PM
Just a question what is your tds reading on your RO.

Tds at 0
Just checked it last weekend after making some water.