PDA

View Full Version : Clowns hosting corner of tank?

jhawkor
07/16/2012, 03:17 PM
My clowns rarely leave the corner of my 90 gallon tank. The corner has no sand by it and they just stay their and pick at it and sometimes rub against it. They both appear to be very healthy, fat, and they eat well. Is this normal?

atreis
07/16/2012, 04:38 PM
Mine did that before they took to the anemones.

BDN
07/16/2012, 05:00 PM
Mine host a powerhead

chucko
07/16/2012, 05:43 PM
Mine does the exact same. We recently added added another (total of 2) and for a while they were more active together. Now the original/larger just stays in his corner and the little new guy is all over the place.

Sandia97
07/16/2012, 05:56 PM
mine do that too, and I have 5 anenomes!

Liexicof15
07/16/2012, 05:56 PM
mine host in the corner as well. I hoping with my new tank, they will move and possibly host a coral.

G4546
07/16/2012, 06:26 PM
It's nice to pair the clowns with their natural host nem from the wild :) We actually (about an hour ago) just put in a new H. Magnifica and our picassos were in it before I got my hand down to place it on the rock. They were hosting another coral, but the second it broke the water they went in. Sandia may I ask what nems and clowns you have? :) As far as them hosting the corner, that's where they want to sleep and feel safe ;) Spruce up the aquaria for them and see if a change in scenery can put them somewhere else :)

THS
07/16/2012, 06:53 PM
Mine host my mag float, and when I move it they follow along, circling it.

jbannick18
07/16/2012, 09:13 PM
Mine are hosting behind my rock scape atm, making me very angry lol

CoralReeferGal
07/17/2012, 02:26 PM
Mine host the power head too. We have a nem as well as some "hostable" corals, but she ownt leave the power head in the top corner! Should I leave her alone, or try to get her out of the corner there... Kinda bummed, she's one of the most beautiful GSM's I've seen in a long time, but no one can see her being the power heads and such in the corner there :(

G4546
07/17/2012, 02:42 PM
Mine host the power head too. We have a nem as well as some "hostable" corals, but she ownt leave the power head in the top corner! Should I leave her alone, or try to get her out of the corner there... Kinda bummed, she's one of the most beautiful GSM's I've seen in a long time, but no one can see her being the power heads and such in the corner there :(

If you have a GSM and a nem, I'd be curious to know what the nem species is. GSM will "run" straight to a E. Quadricolor. If you'd like to move your GSM away from it's powerhead, I'd attempt to put in an E. Quadricolor. All that granted you have the water quality and space and etc... all that jazz ;)

G4546
07/17/2012, 02:44 PM
I appologize, I see now that you are a proud owner of a green haddoni? She (your GSM) wont touch that :) Maybe a clarkii would though! :) I also would like to advise against two different species of nems in the same aquaria, unless you're prepared for the "work" load involved. :) Sorry for double post.

CoralReeferGal
07/17/2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks. We went with a maroon, since they are bigger, and have had several people say they will host a carpet, and others say no... We're still in the middle of debating on whether or not the nem will stay, as apparently they get 18+ inches, and I really don't think our tank is big enough. If we decide to rehome the nem, I will def look more into wwhat type we replace with... I've heard its not a good idea to have different types of nems or clowns, so I think we'll stick with what we've got for now lol. Will she host any of the corals though? Most specifically, we have a flower pot coral, that I thought she might go for (its bigger than the nem too) but she hasn't left that power head yet. Should I just leave her go then? If we replace the nem at a later time, is it likely (or even possible) she'll move, or will she "get used to" calling that corner home? (Thanks for the response too, btw!!)

J2T
07/17/2012, 03:15 PM
I have seen myself a maroon hosting in a carpet in a tank where there are several E. Quadricolors as well. Clowns are goofy, my pair of oscelaris are in the same situation as chucko, my female hangs around the overflow box while the little male will wander the tank. Both have ignored both of my BTAs so far.

G4546
07/19/2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks. We went with a maroon, since they are bigger, and have had several people say they will host a carpet, and others say no... We're still in the middle of debating on whether or not the nem will stay, as apparently they get 18+ inches, and I really don't think our tank is big enough. If we decide to rehome the nem, I will def look more into wwhat type we replace with... I've heard its not a good idea to have different types of nems or clowns, so I think we'll stick with what we've got for now lol. Will she host any of the corals though? Most specifically, we have a flower pot coral, that I thought she might go for (its bigger than the nem too) but she hasn't left that power head yet. Should I just leave her go then? If we replace the nem at a later time, is it likely (or even possible) she'll move, or will she "get used to" calling that corner home? (Thanks for the response too, btw!!)

Maroons can be very rough on their host. You really don't want her to host your goniopora as you might lose it to 'too much love.' I've only seen a handful of maroons in carpets (not to say that yours wont, eventually). You really kind of want to avoid multiple species of sea nems in your aquaria only because it's a bit more complicated to consistantly combat their chemical warfare. I'm not putting a limb on this, but I would like to say that if you dropped a E. quad. in there, she would leave her "post" now at the powerhead and cruise on over to that anemone. Just make sure you get a large enough one so that she doesn't love it to death ;) The clowns know who their natural hosts are and it's quite amazing to watch this take place in the home aquaria. If you do get a 'bubble tip' take a video when you put it in... You might be amazed at how fast she recognizes that's her host ;) :)

johnike
07/19/2012, 04:43 PM
My little Percs have 240 gallons to cruise and hang out in a corner as well.

Sandia97
07/19/2012, 04:56 PM
It's nice to pair the clowns with their natural host nem from the wild :) We actually (about an hour ago) just put in a new H. Magnifica and our picassos were in it before I got my hand down to place it on the rock. They were hosting another coral, but the second it broke the water they went in. Sandia may I ask what nems and clowns you have? :) As far as them hosting the corner, that's where they want to sleep and feel safe ;) Spruce up the aquaria for them and see if a change in scenery can put them somewhere else :)

I have an Ocellaris pair and 6 GBTA's. I was given 3 GBTAs when I started my tank in November and now I have 6!(thought it was 5 but nope..6) They're cool but I'm not particularly attached to them if you would suggest a different nem for my clowns. Also any specific suggestions to spruce up the aquaria? :-) Any advice on how to improve is greatly appreciated!

CoralReeferGal
07/20/2012, 08:50 PM
Maroons can be very rough on their host. You really don't want her to host your goniopora as you might lose it to 'too much love.' I've only seen a handful of maroons in carpets (not to say that yours wont, eventually). You really kind of want to avoid multiple species of sea nems in your aquaria only because it's a bit more complicated to consistantly combat their chemical warfare. I'm not putting a limb on this, but I would like to say that if you dropped a E. quad. in there, she would leave her "post" now at the powerhead and cruise on over to that anemone. Just make sure you get a large enough one so that she doesn't love it to death ;) The clowns know who their natural hosts are and it's quite amazing to watch this take place in the home aquaria. If you do get a 'bubble tip' take a video when you put it in... You might be amazed at how fast she recognizes that's her host ;) :)

I guess I spoke too soon... she took to the carpet yesterday afternoon (pic in another thread I posted yesterday!) She hasn't left the nem since, and is actually very lovey right now... man she is ALL OVER it!! It's kind of cute though... now that she took to the nem, I've been sitting here watching her feed it too. She'll take off and find something, bring it back and put it right by the nem's mouth. Pretty darn cool, and I'm SO excited she decided to leave the power heads already! (The LFS said it could take up to a month if she even would pair up with the carpet. It took less than a week!)

skidoctor
07/20/2012, 09:05 PM
My clowns host each other. I don't have any nems, but do have some hostable corals. They'd rather swim around bumping into each other. They are preferential to the corner with a powerhead.
I posted pictures of clowns hosting all over my tank from the advice of the LFS. Didn't work. Eventually I'll get a nem and see what happens, but for now I just call them my "dumb circus clowns".

10galclowns
07/21/2012, 12:28 PM
Mine do the same as well I wish they would go in the nem.