PDA

View Full Version : aluminum frag tank

brad ellington
07/16/2012, 09:20 PM
What everyone's thoughts on using aluminum to build a tank out of? I can get a 4 x10 sheet for under 150 bucks and a welding and metal working part of it is no problem for me. I think aluminum is corrosion resistant to salt water but my question is what would you seal the metal with to keep it from leaching impurities into the water? Hell I could even use stainless steel.

glddrgn06
07/16/2012, 09:25 PM
aluminum does react to salt so it would be a bad idea the only metal that is recommended is titanium thats why ground probes are titanium and i prolly don't have to tell u how much titanium would set u back

brad ellington
07/17/2012, 01:11 AM
yea i build a lot of light wight drag race parts and titanium is $$$$ I would still think you could seal the metal with some kind expoy dont know just a thought

10reefman
07/17/2012, 04:53 AM
Bad idea!

NanoReefWanabe
07/18/2012, 12:09 AM
you could always drop a pond liner in it once it is built...

but yeah aluminum will oxidize pretty badly in a salt water environment

InnerMonkey
07/18/2012, 04:43 PM
Better to use wood and seal with epoxy or fiberglass maybe?
If I were to consider a soft liner, then might as well do wood and save a few bucks.

NanoReefWanabe
07/21/2012, 12:59 PM
Better to use wood and seal with epoxy or fiberglass maybe?
If I were to consider a soft liner, then might as well do wood and save a few bucks.

fiberglass wont do anything to make it water tight...epoxy is the only thing that will work properly...other resins like polyester will absorb water over time, fiberglass is simply a medium to hold a resin or epoxy...much like using carbon fiber or kevlar they are simply the way to give the epoxy or resin strength...