PDA

View Full Version : Copperband vs Schooling Bannerfish...

sn4265
07/17/2012, 05:16 AM
I'm curious if some of you old salts might have experience with both of these fish. The reason that I ask is two difference LFS both talk about them in the same breath as if they are pretty much equivalent. I understand that they are both Butterflies, but at least LiveAquaria lists them as being dramatically different in terms of car and reef compatibility.

The Copperband is listed as "Difficult" in care, but really doesn't specifically have anything in the description about special care needs. They also list this fish as only reef compatible "with caution". The False Moorish Idol on the other hand is listed as "Easy" in terms of care and "Reef Safe". This seems like pretty significant difference to me.

So, from those who may have experience with both species, just how different are these two fish? Is the Schooling Bannerish really an easier fish to care for and a better citizen in a reef tank?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

MattyO
07/17/2012, 08:49 AM
Not familiar with the Banner Fish but the Copperbands are notorious for not getting them to eat prepared foods, withering away, and dieing. This might be why they are hard listed as Difficult. They are listed as reef compatible with caution because they can go after clams and zoathid/palyzoas

mistacheese
07/17/2012, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry I can't help with your question, but I couldn't resist commenting on the fact that when I read the title I expected to come here and see a result.

And in this corner...

LOL.