PDA

View Full Version : ATO with Apex and Float Switches

jharding08
07/17/2012, 11:17 AM
I set up an ATO system for my 120 gallon reef. I use an Apex with currently one DA float switch and an aqua lifter pulling from a 5 gal reservoir of top off water. I've been reading different ideas on how to set up the ATO and am currently using the most basic.

My current program for Outlet ATO_3_4 looks like the following:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON
If Switch1 CLOSED Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

What I'm seeing (and hearing, since the outlet is on the mechanical relay) is the outlet come on after 1 min for the DEFER, but then turn off after less than a minute. Based on the graph for the ATO for yesterday, it turns on and off every 20 minutes or so.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/jharding08/Reef/ATO_07162012.png

With this interval, it cant be refreshing that much water while its on. Is this the normal refresh rate to stabilize pH? Wont this wear out the pump? I understand why it does this, since I'm using one switch and either its on or off leaving little room for deviation, even with the defer statement

I was thinking of letting more water evaporate before having the pump turn on, either by using two float switches and having an upper and lower, so it fills more water less frequently. Or to use one float switch which will be the lower limit, then it will fill for a designated period of time, to get back to normal. That way I can use the second float switch I have to be a fail safe in case the pump doesnt turn off.

Which is the best so that I dont lose too much water to affect pH, but it doenst wear out my aqualifter.

Thank you for your help

yellowRubi
07/17/2012, 11:49 AM
I would add one more switch for the max water level

jharding08
07/17/2012, 12:01 PM
What is a good amount of water to top off at one time?

BigOldReef
07/18/2012, 12:21 AM
I found the same situation. I changed the Defer statement to 30 minutes rather than the 1 minute you have. This cut the number of times my top off turns on to a reasonable number.