PDA

View Full Version : Add LR to existing tank?

Cymonous
07/17/2012, 11:23 AM
I have only two pieces of live rock sitting next to each other with a small gap between them. My tank has already been cycled and has a couple clowns. Can I add more LR or should I add something else? I want to make a bridge kind of setup so fish can swim in and around or hide under if need be.

Entropy
07/17/2012, 11:29 AM
I would look for rock in an established tank (maybe someone local taking down their tank). If you can get the rock from an running tank and keep it in water while transfering there shouldn't be any issues. If you add it uncurred you will likely have another cycle.

How big is the tank?

Cymonous
07/17/2012, 11:33 AM
The LR I got was from the fish store and was already in a tank. My tank is a 14Gallon Biocube.

Toxic45
07/17/2012, 11:37 AM
Adding live rock to an existing setup is always beneficial. Increasing your biological filter is one of the best things you can do to prolong the life of your fish. If you're going to add live rock, just make sure that is is cured live rock. Cured live rock has been sitting in a curing tank that allows for all the die off to take place. If you add uncured live rock to your tank, like Entropy has said, then the die off will occur in your tank and you will get an ammonia spike. As long as the rock has been cured then you should have no problems. Just make sure to ask your LFS if it is cured or uncured rock. Cured Fiji generally goes for around $8 per pound whereas uncured is significantly cheaper. Try to get your live rock to gallon ratio to 1lb per gallon. Anything above that is awesome. You'd be surprised how much live rock you can fit into a tank without it looking crowded with rock. Try to get a lot of little pieces instead of a few hulking pieces. This will increase the surface area of the rock and allow for more nitrosomona action. :thumbsup:

Toxic45
07/17/2012, 11:40 AM
Oops, double post =P

Cymonous
07/17/2012, 11:44 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the tips Toxic and Entropy. I will ask for some cured rock at the LFS then.

Entropy
07/17/2012, 01:09 PM
Also look for light pieces. Live rock can have significantly different weights for the same size piece so if you are going to pay through the nose for cured live rock, cherry pick it for the biggest but lightest pieces and of course the most interesting looking. A lot of places have rubble rock tanks that can yield some good pieces for smaller tanks.

bacon09
07/17/2012, 01:24 PM
Agree with all of the above... and also make sure you check for mantis shrimp :/ I've found two in 1 month :D