PDA

View Full Version : Why are some skimmers such BIG $$$?

birdman7389
07/17/2012, 08:48 PM
Is there really a difference in a similarly sized $300 skimmer and a $1k+ one?

They are all fairly similar, I mean in a sense...right?

Is it a status thing, or a "more $ must be better" for some people?

James77
07/17/2012, 08:58 PM
It is marketing, brand name, and legendary status for the most part. Some of the ultra expensive ones are built well and with very high quality materials. But as someone that has owned skimmers from the puky seaclone on up to bubble king and even a $1600 skimmer....more money does not equal higher performance. You may get better build, but that has no effect on performance. Some high end ones like BK and ATB do have quiter pumps in general. One of the best performing skimmed I have used is the SRO 2000, it would give any ultra expensive skimmer a run for its money.

slowflow
07/17/2012, 09:04 PM
higher end protein skimmers usually have better pumps

Mmiller40gt
07/17/2012, 10:44 PM
As above. The pump alone on the bubble kings are more than many of the skimmers your looking at. They work great, last a long time, untra efficient, and quiet.

Yes the designs are all clones of others. The acrylic is cheaper on the cheap ones but that is not a big deal if your not beating it up. The pumps are key

James77
07/18/2012, 06:48 AM
As above. The pump alone on the bubble kings are more than many of the skimmers your looking at. They work great, last a long time, untra efficient, and quiet.

Them costing more than other skimmers do in total does not really mean anything. It is also a PITA for when they break down( they do and will, it is only a pump) and you need to buy a several hundred dollar pump. Search around for peoples experience with BK service.....not sure if it has changed since, but it was pretty mediocre from what i have read.

I would also check that efficiency. I threw my BK 160 on a killawatt, and it was drawing 40% more than advertised( 18 watts was really 30 watts). When I checked aound and asked, it was "the norm". Of the higher end skimmers, I definitely prefer the ATB, both in performance and service...plus they are more reasonable in price. But even their high end pumps are just laguna pond pumps with their own impeller. Usually the reason given is research and development, as if a team of super salaried scientists were designing impellers and volutes.....its not rocket science.

Yup, most skimmers are all knock offs of each other now. Big deal, nothing can really be done about that. Super Reef Octopus pumps and skimmers perform extremely well, are energy efficient, only a smidge louder( I can easily tolerate them, I'd call them extremely quiet and I am almost irrational when it comes to tank noise), and have a 3 year full warranty with a company that stands fully behind them. For the vast majority of reefers, you can get similar performace(sometimes better) from the more average priced skimmers in the 200-500 dollar range.

Jeremy Blaze
07/18/2012, 06:50 AM
Agree, a lot of it is marketing.

People buy the hype.

96p993
07/18/2012, 08:51 AM
Because some are willing to pay the price...

slojmn
07/18/2012, 09:03 AM
Love my Reef Octopus skimmer :). I researched and researched when I was trying to determine which skimmer to get for my tank. I almost pulled the trigger on two high end skimmers, not both, but was going to get one or the other. I kept going back to the SRO and eventually just said to myself that I would use the saved money on other equipment and I picked up the SRO. I've never regretted it. They replaced a pump for me within the first year that had a problem, easy smeasy! I think there are some top notch skimmers out there but I really don't think the high cost computes with increased value, of course that is just my unable opinion.

Munchdog
07/18/2012, 01:00 PM
With all this said, who's got the better pumps in the more affordable line? Say 2-3 bills

Reef Octopus? Others?

Snausy
07/18/2012, 01:04 PM
Not to add to the SRO crowd but my ReefOctopus cat-2 internal was about 600.00(just came out) and for my 300 gallon tank I couldn't beat the bang for buck. The Askol pump died and they sent me a new BB pump that works even better.

Mmiller40gt
07/18/2012, 01:28 PM
With all this said, who's got the better pumps in the more affordable line? Say 2-3 bills

Reef Octopus? Others?

Tank size? how is it stocked?