PDA

View Full Version : DIY 40 Breeder Stand. What wood?

Jdev
07/17/2012, 09:54 PM
What sort of boards should I use for a stand for a 40B? I have found several sources online recommending 4x4 posts or 2x4s. However, when I take a visit to the LFS and the PetChains, it seems their stands for 55 gallons are constructed of 4x1/2! Usually mass produced furniture is not known for its quality, so is it really needed to go so much bigger with wood? I don't need my stand to survive World War III, just hold my 40B. Would 4x1's or even 1/2" plywood do the job? I mean I understand no doing the bare minimum to make it more sturdy (which is why I don't want to use 4x1/2s), but there is certainly some middle ground between 4x0.5" boards and 4x4 posts isn't there?

zeebies
07/18/2012, 02:00 AM
You can see how my 40B stand is coming along - here's a link to my build thread. The stand starts on post 8. Good luck!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2113842

Entropy
07/18/2012, 07:54 AM
2x4 is the standard. You can build the frame for under $35 for a 40B assuming you have no tools at all. $20 is doable if you have a tape measure, saw, and speed square.

x6 2x4 (92" or 96" whatever is cheaper). ($15 max)
x1 Box of deck screws ($6 or so)
x12 cuts ($0.50 each, first two are usually free)
x1 Phillips Screw Driver ($3-5)
x1 Speed Square ($5)

Cuts would depend on how you want it to look, but exact would be 36x18 so you could get the top and bottom out of x2 2x4"s (92" or 96" options). Same for the bottom, and then eight legs to hold it together (4 for support, 4 for structual) which assuming you are not going over 45 inches in height could be cut from x4 2x4's.

Then it is just up to you if you want to skin it with ply or something nicer and if you want a plywood top and bottom or not. If you have construction in your area check out the sites and ask if you can cherry pick their scraps. A lot of home builders are throwing away a whole stand worth of material every day (just get permission). :)

Entropy
07/18/2012, 07:57 AM
Wow, or you can go to Zeebies house. He has way too much time on his hands and mad wood working skills. :)

terahz
07/18/2012, 08:34 AM
Depending on the actual size of the stand you might fit in a 4 x 8 sheet of ply. A 3/4" ply all around with a cutout on the front pannel for access will be much stronger than 2 x 4s and you will give you more space inside.

HD can cut it up for you (relatively accurate cuts) so if you plan it well, all you need yo do is pocket join the pieces and cut a rectangle out of the front.