PDA

View Full Version : 1st build need help!

Dhouser
07/17/2012, 10:37 PM
Hey guys new to the site and just getting started in the hobby. Seems everyone has different and varrying opinions on what's good not good etc. I have a few questions and would like to hear different opinions.

I'm looking at the deep blue 24x24x12 rimless reef ready as a reef tank.
Refugium? What brand? Model etc?
Protein skimmer? What brand?
Ecotech mp10? Or 40? 1 or 2?
Here's the one everyone loves LEDs? Which ones?
Anything else that is needed or just might help.

I've bein doin a lot of research and trying to figure it all out. I'm in the Nashville tn area only 2 Lfs so not much to look at. Any help opinions pics anything and everything helps. I'm not looking to put any fish in it maybe 1 possibly 2. Notplanning to load with sps either maybe some. Thanks ahead of time.

Dustin

Juanrmattos
07/17/2012, 11:24 PM
As most tanks it all comes down to the budget you have planned for this project... you could probably build it right using not so expensive components AND you can go really crazy and make a super cube.

I personally love the Deep Blue cubes (Building my own as I type these words)... Made the same question you are asking to the person from who I have learned the most during the past ten years of involvement with reef aquariums (Since I never had a small tank before) and this was his answer:

Expensive Version:
EcoTech Radion
Vortech MP10WES
Bubble Maggus NANO CONE Skimmer
Liter Meter 3 or Tunze Osmolator
Profilux doser pump
Aquacontroller of your choice. Apex lite?
Two Little Fishies Phosphate reactor with Aquarium Systems MiniJet pump.
Passive carbon in a media bag
Zeovit Coral Vitalizer, Pohl's Xtra
Salifert ammino acids
Tropic Marin Salt

Middle version:
Apollo Reef Solar Blast LED
Tunze NANO Skimmer
(1) Tunze 6055(2) Tunze 6015,
Tunze Osmolator or Kent float valve and above ground reservoir
Apex Jr with Apex VDM
Bubble Magus Tripple doser
TLF Phosban reactor, cardon in a bag
Reef Crystals Salt

Economic Version
(4) 24w T5s
CAD Lights stock skimmer
(2) Tunze 6015's
Kent float Valcv or manual evaporation top off every day
manual A&B
Phospate remover and carbon in a bag
RANCO Temp controller
Instant Ocean Salt

Best of luck with your project.

Dhouser
07/18/2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I'm gonna start ordering everything tomorrow. Not sure as to which route I will go on the lighting but I'm workin on it.

alford35
07/18/2012, 09:49 PM
Man, I cant believe you are complaining about the local fish stores in Nashville LOL. I drive 3 hours to get to Aquatic Critter!!! They dont have a whole lot of equipment but will help you get whatever you want. Their tanks are always clean and their frag tanks are pretty good too.

They have started keeping fewer saltwater fish over the past two or three years but still keep many more than any other fish store within quite a few hundred miles. I've only had one fish not make it that I bought from them and I think it was part my fault.

Back to your tank which is good choice if ask me!

I have the Radion lights and really love them.
I wouldnt go for the mp10w if I were you. If you go with it I would do 2. Go with a mp20 or 40 although 2 mp10 might be ok. I only say this because the direct flow of the 10 is only strong up to about 1' then its really spread out and not very strong.
I'd build a sump for sure and then just go with whatever brand of skimmer you like.

ladybugs
07/18/2012, 10:12 PM
Hi Dhouser.

I'm also want to build my tank like your size but mine is 24*24*16. So i will stay tune and look your progress

Cheers

Dhouser
07/19/2012, 11:58 AM
Man, I cant believe you are complaining about the local fish stores in Nashville LOL. I drive 3 hours to get to Aquatic Critter!!! They dont have a whole lot of equipment but will help you get whatever you want. Their tanks are always clean and their frag tanks are pretty good too.

They have started keeping fewer saltwater fish over the past two or three years but still keep many more than any other fish store within quite a few hundred miles. I've only had one fish not make it that I bought from them and I think it was part my fault.

Back to your tank which is good choice if ask me!

I have the Radion lights and really love them.
I wouldnt go for the mp10w if I were you. If you go with it I would do 2. Go with a mp20 or 40 although 2 mp10 might be ok. I only say this because the direct flow of the 10 is only strong up to about 1' then its really spread out and not very strong.
I'd build a sump for sure and then just go with whatever brand of skimmer you like.

Well I say not much to look at. I come from houston TX where their are tons of stores with all kinds of stuff all the major lighting tanks products etc. I like aquatic critter very helpful and will get you on the right path just not alot of displays as far as different lighting etc.
I was thinking 2mp10 or 1 mp 40. And refugium for sure just not sure what brand was thinkin eshopps 100?

Dhouser
07/19/2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Dhouser.

I'm also want to build my tank like your size but mine is 24*24*16. So i will stay tune and look your progress

Cheers

Wha brand tank are you goin with. I like the deep blue 24x24x12 but would like the one you have better possibly. Rimless?

sjnovakovich
07/19/2012, 12:48 PM
Two key items for coral (besides regular maintenance) are lighting and flow. Spend as much as you can afford to buy the best in those two areas.
One mistake that I made was going bargain basement just to get started and now I am speding money upgrading. I wish I had just saved enough money to go top of the line to begin with.

Dhouser
07/19/2012, 02:40 PM
Two key items for coral (besides regular maintenance) are lighting and flow. Spend as much as you can afford to buy the best in those two areas.
One mistake that I made was going bargain basement just to get started and now I am speding money upgrading. I wish I had just saved enough money to go top of the line to begin with.

Great advice! Fortunetly ive learned this the hard way with other more expensive projects. but now i know! HAHA Im lookin for the best of the best the first time around, but everyone has there deffinition of "best" :headwalls: