PDA

View Full Version : Fowlr parameter

bullitr
07/17/2012, 11:38 PM
I am experienced with reef tank for over 8 year
Front
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/aquarium%202012/IMG_7029.jpg
Back
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/aquarium%202012/IMG_7037.jpg
Daytime
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/aquarium%202012/IMG_6990.jpg

but unfortunately i am a large angelfish killer because of velvet and ick outbreak in my reef tank so I want to start a Fowlr with low dose copper

I plan on keeping ff fish
Emperor angel
True personifer angel first in the tank
Red sea Regal angel
Blue face angel*
Scribble angel Pair*
Asfur angel
Pair of Moorish idol
Bicolor angel
Pair of Flame Angel currently on my main reef tank
Powder blue tang
3 Yellow tang
Purple tang
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang currently on my main reef tank
Trio whip fin wrasses

Minimal aquascape
On 180 for now 300 gallon When I have half of the livestock on the list

What's best salinity 1.020 or lower ?
Copper level I read anything above 0.10 is not good ?

Thanks

geaux xman
07/17/2012, 11:52 PM
Other than during QT, I dont run copper in my FOWLR. Prolong exposure to copper will bring out HLLE in some of the large angels. IME. Maybe in lower levels, they will fare ok longterm. Fish that I've seen HLLE after dosing cupramine for a few weeks in QT includes personifers, emps, blueface, chrysurus angels and purple tang. I ran into no issues with achilles(2)+cupramine.

Plus, I keep reading flame angels being really copper sensitive.

Also, keeping an accurate level of copper in a tank with a lot of rock could be hard due to absorption. It is very hard to be able to tell on the test kit from .20pm cupramine vs 0.30ppm.

I think anything above 1.018 is good. I use to run 1.020, now 1.022.

You're wanting to transfer the achilles into the FOWLR?

The 5" emperor(changing) I had was too much of a bully for me. I was glad to be able to rehome it.

bullitr
07/18/2012, 09:05 AM
I plan to have no live sand nor live rocks during the first few months then slowly add dry sand and maybe lace rocks instead of liverocks

MrTuskfish
07/18/2012, 01:33 PM
I don't know of anyone who runs copper full-time in a home tank anymore. Low level copper won't kill ich anyhow. I remember seeing a few articles relating long-term Cu to several problems. If you start with an ich free tank and prophylacticly treat all new fish in the QT with copper or tank-transfer, ich shouldn't be a concern.
SG of anything above 1.009 won't kill ich either. A lot of folks, me included, think fish actually do better at a SG of 1.018-1.020. Its controversial though; it was much more common 15 yrs ago. This SG does nothing to parasites, the "lighter water" just is easier on the fish (in theory, anyhow ).
Bottom line, if I'm reading a little into the post, there is nothing I know of that will kill ich in a DT. It has to be eliminated in the QT....and that's pretty easy. I've kept 1000 gals of fish for many years without ever seeing a parasite n my DTs. All of my fish were prophylacticly treated.

MrTuskfish
07/18/2012, 02:43 PM
......and, of course, all fish from the reef will need to be treated in a HT/QT.

jjk_reef00
07/18/2012, 07:15 PM
I agree with MrTuskfish. Don't run continuous copper. I let all my live rock dry into base rock and then cycle the tank the old fassion way with an amonia spike. Look into Bulk reef supply and maraco rocks to buy base rock because it looks better than lacerock. If you want sand use dry sand.

Then treat every fish in a QT with copper or tank transfer (I really like the tank transfer). I would also treat all your fish with prazipro for flukes.

Make sure nothing from your infected tank (reef or qt) gets anwhere close to your FOWLR. Water, nets, hoses, rock, fish all have a chance to bring disease into your new tank. That means you will have to qt your achilies and any other fish you want to transfer from your reef to your FOWLR.

Your reef looks great, and I hope you share your progress on your FOWLR.