PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this...

paparchasa84
07/18/2012, 08:03 AM
I'm reading as much as I can buy also wanted to get you guys' opinion. I'm picking up a 72 gallon Bowfront tank today. Comes with 2 heaters, glass tops hood and aquarium light. Measurements are: 48x18x23. I'm going for a reef tank so my question is, what should I get next? I know I need live rock how much, also do I need live sand or should I wait to cure my rock first? I'm gonna cure all of my rock first and then add everything else. All help is appreciated I would like to be up there with the patience with the best of them. Thanks guys

Entropy
07/18/2012, 08:12 AM
Welcome to Reef Central! :)

I would get the tank home and setup before you start anything else. The first thing you are going to need is saltwater. You will have to decide if you want to get a reverse osmosis unit (with or without DI) and your favorite flavor of reef salt, or you can rely on a LFS. Once you get the tank full of water you can heat it up to 79-80F and then you will be ready to start looking for rock. A skimmer would be my next purchase (maybe before the rock) as soon as possible.

It the bow front reef ready by chance (internal overflow to sump)? Or are you going to do it all in the tank?

Entropy
07/18/2012, 08:14 AM
Oh if this is a used tank I would leak test it in the garage before you bring it into the house (actually maybe a new tank as well). Better to broom the water down the driveway than to shop vac it out of the house.

masonicman
07/18/2012, 08:16 AM
Refer to this and I believe it answer all of your questions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075632

paparchasa84
07/18/2012, 08:43 AM
Ok thanks I'll def test for leakage. It is not reef ready what would you suggest that's a better investment, either a sump with return or all in the tank? Also I'm thinking of getting an RO/DI system.

Entropy
07/18/2012, 09:21 AM
I am not sure about investment (to me that implies resale which I really never think about), but I would always opt for a reef ready tank with a sump. It just makes life a lot easier. You can hide all the equipment (heaters/pumps/skimmer/etc) which gives you less distractions in the tank and you get more water volume.

EnV
07/18/2012, 11:28 AM
I would make it RR and utilize a sump. Like Entropy said, all your "gear" can be hidden underneath the stand, makes for more of a clean look, also the evaporation will occur in the sump rather than the display tank (won't leave residue on DT).

I personally put the live sand in (about 1LB / Gal) 80lbs to be exact. I personally put RODI water into the tank and let it overflow to the amount I want in the sump then add appropriate amount of salt in. I have a spray bar on my tank so that helped mixed the salt, also getting 2 powerheads will help to since you need them anyways. I waited a few days making sure the salinity was where I wanted it then searched for rock (1-1.5LB/Gal).

jerseygurl
07/18/2012, 12:05 PM
Just a couple of quick things:

You definately want a sump.

After leak testing (if you want to paint the back wall do it now), fill your tank about 1/2 - 3/4 the way with good salt water and get it to temp.

Buy some nice LR, 1/2 LR 1/2 dead, scrub and rinse your LR really good, then put the rock in and get it how you like. Good Youtube vids on aquascaping btw.

Don't waste your money on live sand. Rinse sand really good before you stick it in your tank. Use 1 1/2" of sand.

Then fill it the rest of the way up and your off.

Good luck!

MrTuskfish
07/18/2012, 04:36 PM
Have a QT? If not, you'll wish you did!

paparchasa84
07/18/2012, 10:53 PM
Ok for a sump I know I can use a smaller tank but what's the best way to set r up? Just have it underneath the stand? Also how would I get a pump to return. Also what's a really good ro di system? I'm setting all of this up Friday when I'm off.