PDA

View Full Version : Green ORA birdsnest

pusanpa
07/18/2012, 06:28 PM
What is the most important in order to keep a green birdsnest healthy?
I have two differnet types of stylos and a pink birdsnest they are all healthy. But i just cant keep the green one alive. It always ended up very thin and bleached.

M88A2
07/18/2012, 09:42 PM
Whats you flow like? i believe you get thicker branches from stronger flow. One of the best things you could do for you sps is keep params stable. if your corals are bleeching, try keeping them on the bottom for a week or so and slowly move them up to where you want them

kawicivic
07/18/2012, 09:43 PM
I always have found that birdsnest can tolerate and even thrive in lower light than many other sps. My green acro has been doing pretty well on the very side of my tank. I have a 6 foot tank and only a five foot fixture - it still does well even though it is out of the direct light. I have only had it a few months though so I cant say that it is the best spot for it. I don't recall where I used to have it in my past tanks.

pusanpa
07/18/2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I guess i'l try one more time.

eskymick
07/19/2012, 07:33 AM
I always have found that birdsnest can tolerate and even thrive in lower light than many other sps. My green acro has been doing pretty well on the very side of my tank. I have a 6 foot tank and only a five foot fixture - it still does well even though it is out of the direct light. I have only had it a few months though so I cant say that it is the best spot for it. I don't recall where I used to have it in my past tanks.

+1 I've also found they do best when not bombarded by the most intense light.

chessmanmark
07/19/2012, 10:39 AM
With my first build I had this piece midway down in my 90 gallon tank, mixed reef, and it thrived. With my second build, SPS & LPS, I had it all the way at the top under 250w DE 12K Reeflux in a LumenBright reflector. It also thrived until it got crowded out by acros. Now on my third build I have it low and all the way to the side in the same 90 gallon tank with the same lights. The PAR in this spot must be very low, however it is doing fine.

IME this piece is very hardy and easy to grow. I would start running some tests to make sure your water quality is fine. I would also try to keep it out of extreme direct flow.

First build 2006
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/9-23-06001.jpg
Second build 2008
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/IMG_5462.jpg

kawicivic
08/23/2012, 10:28 PM
Is it doing better?