PDA

View Full Version : about to buy new test kits

milomlo
07/19/2012, 08:12 AM
Ok I am about to buy new tests kits. I am currently using API and I have yet to see any trates in my cycling tank. My ammonia went from 1.00 to .50 to .25, with only a HINT of trites and never any trates. :hmm3:

So of course I will buy those three kits, but what else do you think I need immediately for testing and what kits are recommended. I used to use Salifert a few years ago, but now they may be something better.

Opinions please :lol2:

d2mini
07/19/2012, 08:31 AM
Check out Red Sea test kits.
Just bought a couple and tried out the Nitrate one and was very impressed.

moshi1ry
07/19/2012, 08:32 AM
Ive heard ELOS test kits are good people are saying better than salifert ive never owned them TBH but ive heard good things about them.

BigBarnacles
07/19/2012, 08:41 AM
Ok I am about to buy new tests kits. I am currently using API and I have yet to see any trates in my cycling tank. My ammonia went from 1.00 to .50 to .25, with only a HINT of trites and never any trates. :hmm3:

So of course I will buy those three kits, but what else do you think I need immediately for testing and what kits are recommended. I used to use Salifert a few years ago, but now they may be something better.

Opinions please :lol2:

API is fine for cycle testing. How long has ammonia been 0.25? Nitrites didn't show up right away in my cycle. Once they did they were sky high and took so long to come down I thought I needed a new test kit. Also, how long did your ammonia spike last? I think with patience you'll see the numbers come and go. My cycle took 32 days to complete...32 days!

milomlo
07/19/2012, 10:08 AM
YIKES I hope not 32 days. Good Grief!! On 7/11 is when I saw the first hint of ammonia, it was .25, on 7/13 it was 1.00 and then the next 2 days my ammonia went to .50 with a HINT of trites. Then on the 18th my ammonia was .50 and my trites went to 0 and still no trates with ammonia at .25 today.

milkman55
07/19/2012, 07:14 PM
A month is not long at all for a tank cycle. Sounds like you are ready for a clean up crew and maybe in a couple of weeks a fish addition. Go slow and you will have the best luck.

Check out the Red Sea Reef Foundation and Algae Management test kits. I really like mine. You can order additional reagents without buying the whole test kit.

Also, get a handheld pH meter to monitor you pH. I use mine all the time even with a controller which has pH monitoring.