PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium is bigger than the stand.HELP!!!

warfanax
07/19/2012, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I have a 39"x14.5" stand and wanted to put a 40g breeder (36"x18) on it. So I bought a 3/4" plywood (39x18) to support the aquarium. After reading several hours everyone says you need to support corners. This made me concern alot.

My question is, I will have 2" overhang from front and back of the tank. Will it support? Or plywood will bend?

the force needed to bend 2" overhang will be so much more than the one needed to bend a longer overhang.

I am also planning to add L brackets to the back to support it even more. Is it okay if I don't use brackets at the front because It wont look good there.

I uploaded a picture so you can see how it looks. Will it work? (Btw it isn't a TV stand. Its and aquarium stand that I use for TV until I get the tank. )

rocking
07/19/2012, 02:08 PM
take and put 3 boards in under the plywood from front and back

Entropy
07/19/2012, 03:27 PM
I would just put all of the overhang on the back and brace it with a 2"x4" frame. 2"x4" are 3.5 inches wide which is just what you need. Then either skin the 2x4 to match or just stain the heck out of it to match. It will look better than having an overhang front and back and brackets IMO.

uncleof6
07/19/2012, 04:14 PM
Sounds like you should be buying a properly sized stand--or building a properly sized stand. Quick fixes may or may not work out so well, especially long term. Undertakings such as these, as just begging for problems. Things done right the first time, save trouble, and cost less in the end.

Tank stand basics 101: A rimmed tank requires direct vertical support under the four corners. Adding framing to the existing stand, on the surface, would seem a practical solution, however--new lumber vs aged lumber--the dimensional change over time would be unequal, leading to problems. This is not taking into account the probable problems getting all four corners co-planer to begin with.

perikaruppan
07/19/2012, 09:05 PM
I have the same problem. My stand is 7'x2'9" and my new tank is 8'x2'9". There is no problem with the width but there will be a 6" projection on either side of the stand on the length. I thought this shouldn't be a problem as the stand is made out of teak wood and got a 19mm ply on top to support.
What can be done? Or the wood being teak wood is it alright?

peppie
07/19/2012, 09:23 PM
Just add another sheet of 3/4'' on top of the one you have already. Then I would add a piece of hard wood to the edge for trim.
Double 3/4'' plywood will be fine.

warfanax
07/19/2012, 10:43 PM
Height of the stabd is already 32" with 3/4" plywood. It will look so bad+ high

warfanax
07/19/2012, 10:45 PM
So 6" from either side and total 12"? Wow. I don't think any plywood can support that much weight unless you support that ply with 2x4's.

warfanax
07/19/2012, 10:55 PM
I would just put all of the overhang on the back and brace it with a 2"x4" frame. 2"x4" are 3.5 inches wide which is just what you need. Then either skin the 2x4 to match or just stain the heck out of it to match. It will look better than having an overhang front and back and brackets IMO.

Well I thought about it but I wantes to keep the cost down as low as possible. The tank that I will get has a trim at the bottom so it won't be sitting on glass, its an Aqueon 40g.

Also I wasn't planning to glue or screw the plywood on the stand. Is it necessary to to that? Is it gonna effect the integrigty of the plywood somehow? front and back edge of the aquarium will sit on the plywood and if I dont glue or screw it to the stand I am afraid it might bend up because of the forces pushing sides down?

I really don't know what to do.

warfanax
07/19/2012, 11:55 PM
I found this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a0-dYOQNatY/TiHGHuSdn_I/AAAAAAAAADw/zcyZ0i1wROY/s1600/Marine+Fish+Tank+%25284%2529.JPG

Above kit is Aqua Medic Percula. I have 2'' from both sides that concerns me, but if you look at the picture you will see more than 2'' overhang with a 120g tank and the manufacturer is selling like this.

So I should't worry about mine at all?

how can you explain this?

perikaruppan
07/20/2012, 10:39 AM
ya so didnt want to risk it.. so altered the stand to be a 8' stand... :) lucky i got carpenters at my disposal.

Entropy
07/20/2012, 01:23 PM
I don't think you will have an issue with bending since the tank should be exerting the same amount of force spread out evenly across all the points that touch the plywood (either the entire rim or the entire bottom). I would still screw it down though. The tank only weighs 400 pounds full and I think you could move that accidently.

I would still just go with 2x4 supports on the back. You could slap it together for under $10.

peppie
07/20/2012, 05:56 PM
Just add another sheet of 3/4'' on top of the one you have already. Then I would add a piece of hard wood to the edge for trim.
Double 3/4'' plywood will be fine.

This was in reference to the 40 breeder. It would not work for a 6'' overhang.

buffalo123
07/20/2012, 07:42 PM
Check your lfs you'll see stands built with overhang. the weight is carried over the total area of the bottom, not just the edges

uncleof6
07/20/2012, 10:39 PM
Check your lfs you'll see stands built with overhang. the weight is carried over the total area of the bottom, not just the edges

Incorrect. The entire weight of a rimmed tank, is carried around the edges. There is no contact between the stand and the tank other than around the edges. A rimless tank, on the other hand, would be supported by the entire stand top.

99% of the commercial stands, whether there is an overhang or not, will have direct vertical support under the four corners of the tank, in one way or another--the overhang being strictly aesthetic. If a stand does not provide direct vertical support under the four corners of the tank, stay away from it.

ghellin
07/21/2012, 01:01 AM
^^^this. How is this really a debate. Just spend the $40 to build a proper 2x4 and plywood stand. Your setting up a reef tank and your concerned about spending $40 on the stand that supports your entire system. If money is a concern build the new stand then sell the old one on craigslist and recoup your costs of new wood.

warfanax
07/21/2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. I went yesterday and got 1x4's. I will put all 4" overhang at the back and support the plywood with 1x4. As others said, I invested already 500$ so why risk it for couple of bucks.

kcress
07/21/2012, 01:24 PM
I invested already 500$ so why risk it for couple of bucks.

Exactly the reason using an overhang "in the back" is such a foolish idea. Get or make a proper stand.

warfanax
04/21/2013, 09:39 AM
Why do you think its a bad idea? As long as you support it well its the same as building a new stand. I am very satisfied with what I did. My support for that overhang is so much sturdier and better then the original stand itself. Its gonna be almost a year and and works very well...

bottled-ocean
04/21/2013, 04:16 PM
You would just take 2 x 2 and cut it to fit and nail it to the side of the stand.