PDA

View Full Version : thinking of removing my six line???

jfeva0049
07/19/2012, 02:16 PM
So for the past 2 hours i have been reading about the many nightmare stories about six lines. this has always been one of my favorite fishes, but im now thinking of getting rid of it. i guess i was just ignorant but this is the first i seen these horror stories and i dont want for me to be one of them down the road. i do want to be able to add other small fish in the future and im not sure it would be possible with the six line.

the tank is only 3 months old and the six line has been in for about 1 month. he has been fine so far but i guess i dont care to see the day he acts up ..or the day i spend $50 on a fish just to have him die because of the six line.

im torn between keeping him and accepting that fact i will be very limited in regards to adding more fish or getting rid of him and opening up my tank to other wrasses.

any thoughts???

agetr
07/19/2012, 10:52 PM
i had to remove a 6 line once i added more wrasse. he was never aggressive to any other fish but once i added the new wrassed my 6 line was a terror.

good luck.

HV1990
07/20/2012, 03:32 AM
There is no way to say that your six line will be or not be aggressive. Sadly the only way to tell is to add another fish. I had a sixline that was a model fish and I even gave to a friend getting into the hobby. Then my next one decided to attack my scopas tang. Each fish is different and only time will tell. Good luck though.

bluewater921
07/20/2012, 06:24 AM
i had one gave it away ... it would attack anything you added to the tank .. got a yellow coris way better temperament

Maxi
07/20/2012, 07:10 AM
Always add a sixline wrasse LAST.
I had 2 true perculas first, then I introduced the six line and the six left them alone.
Over time, I added a lawnmower blenny, they fought with the six line being the instigator, and then left him alone.

Next, a golden midas blenny, destroyed by the sixline. That one had pink stripes going across its face too!

Next, flame hawkfish.

Next, Royal Gramma basslet.

Just be sure to add the six line last if you really want him. He did do one good thing though, he depleted a small flatworm population I had. Completely.

Oh and he swallowed a skunk shrimp bigger than himself once. Picture this, the shrimp swaying side to side right before I turn on the lights every morning. Turn on, blink, CHOMP. THE WHOLE THING?! I swear the sixline grew jaws like a largemouth bass out of nowhere.

sponger0
07/20/2012, 07:22 AM
Since you already have it, I would give it a chance. You may get one that is the 1%. You never know until the situation arises.

Fish Biscuit
07/20/2012, 11:21 AM
+ 1 - let it be, maybe you will be ok & maybe not. If you really like the fish then you can always put it in another tank when the new neighbors show up & let them get settled & throw him back in later

tyler206
07/20/2012, 11:34 AM
i dont have any problem with my six line, it help clean the flatworm on my tank, i love it

MIKE NY
07/20/2012, 03:06 PM
take it out! ...it will only limit you on what species of fish you can keep and just has a nasty temperment when older...I've had mine for almost 6 years now and I'm constantly taking it out and putting back in with new additions only to have it attack some other fish which it has been with for months without any problems....the latest time is my Leopard decided to be a male and then the fighting started ...

Pamelahaley
07/20/2012, 05:22 PM
Always add a sixline wrasse LAST.
I had 2 true perculas first, then I introduced the six line and the six left them alone.
Over time, I added a lawnmower blenny, they fought with the six line being the instigator, and then left him alone.

Next, a golden midas blenny, destroyed by the sixline. That one had pink stripes going across its face too!

Next, flame hawkfish.

Next, Royal Gramma basslet.

Just be sure to add the six line last if you really want him. He did do one good thing though, he depleted a small flatworm population I had. Completely.

Oh and he swallowed a skunk shrimp bigger than himself once. Picture this, the shrimp swaying side to side right before I turn on the lights every morning. Turn on, blink, CHOMP. THE WHOLE THING?! I swear the sixline grew jaws like a largemouth bass out of nowhere.

That tiny mouth ate a shrimp?!

Interesting, the hawkfish and RG were the reason my last 6 line bit the dust. I've had a few in my time keeping reef. Always been great fish but, timid IME. I guess it depends on the fish... The RG was scared to death in a hole near starvation by a hawkfish and smith damsel so, I got rid of them, he got healthy and started attacking any other fish I put in the tank. My god that was that frustrating time. I'm thinking of trying a different wrass eventually, maybe McCoskers or an 8 line...