PDA

View Full Version : Buying used 75g. Need advice.

Sethjamto
07/19/2012, 03:48 PM
I am picking up a 75 this weekend that is currently up and running. The current owner had an infestation of aiptasia over the past year that he has not been able to maintain due to health concerns (which is why he is getting rid of the tank).

It has nearly 100lbs of LR covered in coraline, but also aiptasia as you can see below. I don't want to buy all new rock.....can I scrub this, let is dry real good in the sun, and still use the rock? I know I'll have a good cycle with it, but thats tha beauty of a current tank up and running. I can really take this 75 build slowly and still enjoy my 29.

He said that he has good results with aiptasia-x, but hasn't used it in nearly half a year. I'm guess a good scrubbing, right? Just use the garden hose and a stiff brush? Any other tricks? How long should I let it air out and dry before putting it back in the tank? This dry time will be good for me to set everything else up. He has multiple light systems....RO/DI, dosing set ups, and a cheap sump. I think I may look for a used sump of better quality while I'm in the beginning stages. The current sump is a Tidepool II.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0883.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr112/sethjamto/IMAG0882.jpg

Entropy
07/19/2012, 03:56 PM
Since you are not in a rush I think I would battle the aptasia in the tank with kalk paste. That is some nice rock and it would be shame to kill it IMO.

Sethjamto
07/19/2012, 04:06 PM
I don't want to loose the coraline.....but....I'll do some research on kalk paste.

neptunestender
07/19/2012, 05:22 PM
Just a thought, but you say you dont want to loose the coraline? You would loose it for sure if you wash in fresh water and let it bake in the sun. IMO I would transfer one rock into a QT and treat for aptasia, and clean the rest. The once you go a month or two with no aptasia on th QT rock reset DT and seed with the the coraline covered rock. I have read some real horror stories about aptasia and simply would not risk it. Worst case you can always seed with a clean aptasia free rock from your 29.

Best of luck and congrats on your upsizing,
Ed

reef2
07/19/2012, 05:24 PM
if that was my rock it would go strait into a bleach and water bath. yes it would kill everything but i think it would be worth it not having to try and deal with aptasia.

kriv4o
07/19/2012, 05:36 PM
^ same here. If you would be transferring your other tank into the 75 bleach and acid wash the rock so you don't risk the aptasia coming back, then set the new tank up, transfer your exsisting tank in it and let mother nature take her course. Coraline will be back in no time.

spollock818
07/19/2012, 05:43 PM
I'd do a muratic acid bath to get rid of the aptasia and bound posphatrs.

Snakebyt
07/19/2012, 06:05 PM
from the pics, those look to be Majano anemones and not aptasia.

read this thread, make sure and read the whole thing, not a long thread, but it will give you details on a trick to get rid of pesky majanos

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85647&sid=c096ee56993ac3da594c25f454e751f7

this solution might take a little bit, but it seems to work and you dont lose any life from your rocks this way

Sethjamto
07/19/2012, 06:56 PM
Snakebyt...I'll check it out, but I'm thinking of doing a complete scrub as I don't want to chance it.

So ya'll say bleach? I assume just a REAL good rinse with the hose after followed by a complete drying period in the sun. How long after scrubbing/bleaching/drying could I add the rock to the 75 to start my cycle? Once its dry?

I have a nice coraline rock in my 29 that I'll use to reseed the new tank.

jasin401
07/19/2012, 07:55 PM
+1 on mojanos..i would def soak in bleach mixture with ro/di and then sun bake them..then cure them in ro/di til the smell of bleach is gone..coupe of days.. and just wait for your coraline to come back..id rather hav that than mojanos.