PDA

View Full Version : Snail Acclimation

Gagonzalez
07/19/2012, 09:00 PM
I just ordered my snail only CUC from reefcleaners.com and from what I understand, they ship them in wet paper? How would IO acclimate them if that is the case? If anyone else has ordered from them, how do they ship and what is the acclimation procedure? Thanks

bacon09
07/19/2012, 09:11 PM
I think it makes the acclimation easier actually... I've gotten snails in wet paper before and I just float the bag for 20 min to match temperature, then open bag and smell it, if I don't throw up upon opening the bag then I just drop the snails in the tank lol (astraea and turbo snails need to be placed manually on top of a hard surface cuz they can't turn over if they fall back on the sand).

You could add water slowly to the bag and do the normal 2+ hours acclimation they recommend for snails but since there's no water in the bag to begin with, wouldn't it be pointless?

Also the first time I bought saltwater snails from a local LFS I just dropped em in the tank with no acclimation whatsoever and they're still kicking. I didn't know they couldn't handle sudden changes like that. (not recommending this, just saying).

johnc99
07/19/2012, 11:01 PM
John has an acclimation guide on the reefcleaners website. I used his guide and lost very little. In fact most of the dwarf ceriths, florida ceriths, and all the nassarius are still alive (almost 18 months later). The micro stars are still alive (but rarely see). The nerites through decided to climb out my tank.

Gagonzalez
07/20/2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks. I'll follow the websites instructions and keep my fingers crossed.

EnV
07/20/2012, 02:26 PM
Instructions that he has on the site and the ones he emails you.

Callmeq
07/20/2012, 03:37 PM
I just got a shipment from them yesterday. Yes they send it on wet paper towels but mine also had water in it. I did the float acclimation process and everything went beautifully.