PDA

View Full Version : Ecoxotic LED sagging despiite adjustments

mikoz
07/20/2012, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I have 2 18" Ecoxotic LED arrays, each with 5 strips (stock configuration is 3). I purchased the tank mounts and really have not been pleased with them. They sag over time and seem to be putting a lot of strain on the top rim of the tank.

I reinforced the top of my tank to help, by creating a spacer which allows the inner lip of the tank to basically match the height of the outer lip thereby creating a uniform base for the tank mounts.

This helps a little, but, I am really not happy with the design, they have should two clamps and perhaps a vendor-specific bracket that optimally conforms to the outline of the top of the tank (I know that may not be feasible, but, I was just hoping).

I have heard that the stand mount is also not worth it. And, I have 20 ft ceilings in the room, so, the ceiling mount is also not going to work.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what other options exist for mounting that have been successful and still allow you to easily get in the tank through the top?

Is there perhaps a mounting option that spans the width and supports the lights a few inches above the top?

Finally, I don';t think some of the screws were built to withstand a damp environment, I'm already seeing significant corrosion on the screws that hold the bracket that conceals the cabling. That's not a big deal, but, still, very disconcerting. Maybe I should have done more homework before buying these, I am really not very happy with the overall quality.

GQuinn
07/20/2012, 03:13 PM
I had similar problem with the 24" tank mount. I couldn't tighten the screw tight enough to get the droop out of it. I decided to alter mine as shown and made the bracket "pinch" the glass. As you tighten the two stainless steel screws the bracket tightens on the glass. This works very well and I am happy after this alteration.

mikoz
07/20/2012, 03:16 PM
I had similar problem with the 24" tank mount. I couldn't tighten the screw tight enough to get the droop out of it. I decided to alter mine as shown and made the bracket "pinch" the glass. As you tighten the two stainless steel screws the bracket tightens on the glass. This works very well and I am happy after this alteration.

Hi,

Thanks. Looks like your frame is just flat, I am using a DSA tank with a traditional 2-leveled lip frame (not a technical term, but I think you know what i mean). So, it's a different clamp. I should have mentioned that. I can't clamp directly to the glass... if I could, that would probably help a lot.

-mike

GQuinn
07/20/2012, 03:22 PM
Can you take a picture of your bracket set-up? Maybe we can come up with some way to alter it?