PDA

View Full Version : Largest skimmer ever put on a 28 nano cube

Mmiller40gt
07/20/2012, 06:43 PM
Got this in today. NAC5E for my jbj 28 HQI nano cube. Tank had to be moved out 5.5 inches from the wall. It fits perfectly went you remove the media basket. Brake is in left bubble trap and output is in right bubble trap.
Rated at 135 gallons. Basically a hang on back NAC7, same pump and same size. 500 liters of air an hour. My friend is running a NAC 7 on his 140 and it pulls like crazy, so it should be great on this little tank. Lol.

Mmiller40gt
07/20/2012, 06:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/48be4cfc-fc9e-11bb.jpg196983

Mmiller40gt
07/20/2012, 06:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/48be4cfc-fccd-d0bd.jpg

Mmiller40gt
07/20/2012, 06:54 PM
Worst directions ever though.. Made me laugh. If it looks like its not pulling any skim ate yet refer to the phenomenon in step 7. Lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/48be4cfc-fd9d-c76f.jpg

Mmiller40gt
07/20/2012, 07:11 PM
These two pics are NOT mine. Just borrowed them to show the actual size. I forgot to snap pics before installation and not pulling it off tonight.

http://img.tapatalk.com/48be4cfc-01d6-409d.jpg

Mmiller40gt
07/21/2012, 01:12 AM
Opinions?

AcroporAddict
07/21/2012, 01:15 AM
Don't be surprised if you have periods of no skimmate production with that monster. Feed the heck out of your fish!

Mmiller40gt
07/21/2012, 05:07 AM
Don't be surprised if you have periods of no skimmate production with that monster. Feed the heck out of your fish!

Thx.. I figured as much. Got 25 pounds of fresh Totaka rock arriving Monday. It's for my GF so she will have no,excuse for failure :spin2:

moondoggy4
07/21/2012, 09:08 AM
You could put a small hanging over it, the plant will love it. How is the circulation in the tank, I found with HOB skimmers that you need really good circulation or some kind of mechanical filtration.

Hudzon
07/21/2012, 09:50 AM
Being that oversized you will more than likely have a hard time keeping a rasing foam head.

Mmiller40gt
07/21/2012, 10:18 AM
You could put a small hanging over it, the plant will love it. How is the circulation in the tank, I found with HOB skimmers that you need really good circulation or some kind of mechanical filtration.

It has two mj 1200's in the back ( the returns) and one hydor 750 in the tank so 48x tank volume flow. I also plan one bag of rox carbon on one right return and if I can get it around the chiller side a bag of GFO or maybe a hob reactor

grigsy
07/21/2012, 11:31 PM
I put a CPR Bak Pak on my 24 gallon nano.

SoLiD
07/21/2012, 11:49 PM
With a brand new (empty) tank it could be a while before you have enough of a bioload to make enough waste (foam) to push it out through the top of "that" skimmer on that tank. I see a ton of skimmer tweaking in your future buddy. But Don't be worried, It can be done. I sucessfully run a Vertex Alpha 170 on my 40 Gallon Breeder. Bio-pellets really helped increase the skimmate too.

Mmiller40gt
07/22/2012, 12:10 AM
With a brand new (empty) tank it could be a while before you have enough of a bioload to make enough waste (foam) to push it out through the top of "that" skimmer on that tank. I see a ton of skimmer tweaking in your future buddy. But Don't be worried, It can be done. I sucessfully run a Vertex Alpha 170 on my 40 Gallon Breeder. Bio-pellets really helped increase the skimmate too.

Tips? I thought about pellets. I paid about half of retail so if if does not work out ill flip it. Will be curing 25 pounds of rock next week. So,if they don't pull then it's waay too big. Right now on an empty tank its doing nothing but coating the neck. It's still better than the airstone skimmer it came with and most of the other junk they sell for nanos. It's my girls tank so maybe this will let her have more room for mistakes. Or maybe a lot more fish than a normal nano

Thanks for any help you can offer

SoLiD
07/22/2012, 01:40 AM
A Tunze 9002 is about the best nano skimmer I've ever used. They also tuck away inside the back compartments and stay hidden unlike most of the hideous HOB skimmers.

Mr. Bill
07/22/2012, 05:13 AM
Agreed- I've read a lot of good reviews and recommendations for the 9002 as well as the Hydor Slim-Skim Nano. Good luck with that beast- hope it works out for you.

BTW, those directions are hilarious! Looks like they got their English from a free online translator.

Reeferz412
07/23/2012, 11:11 AM
I had a turboflotor multi 1000 on my 20 gallon for a few months. Sometimes i would get some nasty filth in the cup and then two weeks of pretty much nothing. I switched to a cpr bak pak because it was smaller and it skimmed a cup weekly. I thought i went overkill lol, man you defined it! :lmao:

drktemplar
07/23/2012, 12:24 PM
at least you wont have a problem with your skimmer under skimming or being able to keep up with your bioload. I had a 100G HOB skimmer from an old 75G on my 29G bowfront and that thing made that tank real clean.

Mmiller40gt
07/24/2012, 01:49 AM
Pump failed after 3 days. eBay seller http://socaltropicalfishoutlet.com refuses to take returns. Stuck with a broken skimmer. Atman pumps suck. 2 skimmers in 3 weeks failed.
:(

Beware of any bubble magus skimmer or Chinease SCA skimmers using these pumps

nolofinwe
07/24/2012, 05:56 AM
Emptying my collection cup and replacing the lost volume is essentially a 5% water change.

http://blackfishinteractive.com/tank/7_24_12.jpg

PHensley
07/25/2012, 09:53 AM
Gosh, that sucks. You could get another atman but those are like 50 bucks or so. Also, you could try other pumps like a bubble blaster, sicce, or even the Octopus OTP pumps. However, I imagine that would probably be a lot of DIY type work and you would probably have to cut off that acrylic support for the intake in order to fit another pump. The skimmer would skim like a beast though with a superior pump. Those skimmers have a pretty good reputation from folks that have ones with functional pumps. When I was for looking for a HOB for my 55 gallon, the Nac 5e was near the top of my list but lack of customer service really precluded me from getting one. I got a Reef Octopus BH 90 instead. If you ever need another HOB, I would consider the reef octopus models, Aquamaxx HOB, the Tunze in tank skimmer, and maybe even the aqua c remora.

Mmiller40gt
07/25/2012, 11:01 AM
Gosh, that sucks. You could get another atman but those are like 50 bucks or so. Also, you could try other pumps like a bubble blaster, sicce, or even the Octopus OTP pumps. However, I imagine that would probably be a lot of DIY type work and you would probably have to cut off that acrylic support for the intake in order to fit another pump. The skimmer would skim like a beast though with a superior pump. Those skimmers have a pretty good reputation from folks that have ones with functional pumps. When I was for looking for a HOB for my 55 gallon, the Nac 5e was near the top of my list but lack of customer service really precluded me from getting one. I got a Reef Octopus BH 90 instead. If you ever need another HOB, I would consider the reef octopus models, Aquamaxx HOB, the Tunze in tank skimmer, and maybe even the aqua c remora.

Yeah the customer service has been a nightmare. The union is metric and glued onto the pump. It will take a lot of rigging to get it corrected.