PDA

View Full Version : softies and water quality

kcirtap1
07/20/2012, 08:11 PM
I was last on here in Jan.of this year..I was having trouble with all the softies in my 120 gal tank.I had a 50 gal. before and in July of last year upgraded to the 120.After a few months all the mushrooms ,colts and button corals stated to close up and shrink.Nothing I did made any change. Kind folks here were asking how about the calcium levels and what about the Ph..Well I dosed everything that was suggested and no effect. So about two months ago my protein skimmer empeller broke the center rod.
Strangely I saw the shrinking mushrooms get a bit better.I have not had the skimmer going for the past 2 months. All the buttons are open ,the colts polyps are out and the hairy mushrooms are growing and polyps are out.Before these hairy mushrooms were huge 8 inches across. Still only 1/6th their size but on the mend.
Ok so here is what I have come to in my observations...softies are happier in less than pristine water. The skimmer that I was using was the Pacific Coast 3000.Ok yes I was over skimming ,some would say, but that is the way many aquarists are moving.We know less of softies than other forms of corals.I just thought I would share with you folks what I have found out in the past few months.:spin1:

Molehs
07/20/2012, 08:53 PM
I hope your assessment is correct as well, as I turned off my skimmer recently in hope of motivating some of my softies to come back.

jwoyshnar
07/21/2012, 03:21 AM
You were probably starving your corals, now they have food.