PDA

View Full Version : Another lighting question

Stewart86
07/21/2012, 12:00 AM
Hey all just starting my first tank. Im using a 30 gal long for the display and pondering what to get for lighting. Being a shallow tank I shouldnt need anything to crazy and I'm going to be stocking with the usual beginer corals. I'm big into DIY and good with electronics so I'm leaning toward a 24 Cree setup from rapid led controlled with a RKL. My other choice next inline would be a 36" T5 tek fixture. What do you think is my best bet?

Stewart86
07/21/2012, 08:26 AM
Nothing?

ajcanale
07/21/2012, 09:00 AM
All your really asking here is what is better.... DIY LED, or T5. You need to supply some info like what corals you eventually plan on keeping under them, other than beginner corals (soft). You should also figure out what mix of bulbs or leds you would be using to achieve a balanced color spectrum.

If you want to get real serious with a DIY LED build an have a variety of colors (Cool White, Warm White, Blue, Royal Blue, Magenta, Green... etc) with each having its own individual controller or dimming capability, that's the way to go if you feel your up to it. You will end up spending a lot more money with this, but will probably be ultimately happier.
If you want to keep it simple, and do not care about a lack of shimmer effect from your lighting, then go T5

Potsy
07/21/2012, 09:39 AM
A tek or tek elite fixture would be perfectly fine for your tank. Considering how shallow a 30L is, you can keep anything with that fixture. Anything more light intensive might be overkill.

Stewart86
07/21/2012, 12:55 PM
I'd love to have an led fixture but being new to the hobby I dont want to get over my head right off the get go. I'm probably going to start off with some zoas and mushrooms but I have the usual problem with wanting everything so I'd like a light that could sustain a variety of corals. All the builds I've seen from rapid led consist of cool white and royal blue LEDs. I know they sell red and green to. Would just the blue and white be enough for most or will I run into problems? I will get the dimmable drivers do I can tweak it a bit although I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Michigan Mike
07/21/2012, 03:36 PM
Oops dp

Michigan Mike
07/21/2012, 03:39 PM
I'd get the TEK, it's proven reliable and people aren't selling them after a year of use.
Wait for led to get better and cheaper.
It's being said that expanding LEDs with more light frequencies are showing better results.
Having two channels of lights will prove to be outdated.

Stewart86
07/21/2012, 04:31 PM
Ok. thanks for the feedback

sponger0
07/21/2012, 04:40 PM
If you dont wanna go LEDs, Id recommend getting a 4 bulb quality fixture. TEK, Nova Extreme.