PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle (w/table shrimp) question

NickC5FE
07/21/2012, 01:25 PM
Hi all, i am trying the fish-less with table shrimp cycle for our new 8 gallon nano and have questions. The shrimp has been in there for about 5 days and i have about 1 ppm ammonia going on now. My questions are:

When should i pull the shrimp? How high should i allow the ammonia go? I have an established tank and have filter media in it for this new tank-When should i put the media in the nano?

If i understand it right, i put the shrimp in, let the ammonia build, once it is to a point- i add the media and allow the bacteria to feed off the ammonia. Am i right?

Thank in advance! Nick

Michigan Mike
07/21/2012, 03:29 PM
Let the shrimp dissolve . When ammonia hits 0 do a water change and you can add the good bacteria media and a bio load. Depending on bio load you may have been able to use the other filter pad,
Without a bio load the established filter pad will lose bio bacteria in the nano tank.

snorvich
07/21/2012, 07:34 PM
If you put the shrimp in panty hose or equivalent, it will be easy to remove the residuals.

alford35
07/21/2012, 10:09 PM
It shouldnt take too long and I wouldnt leave it in there nearly long enough for it to dissolve as there is no reason for it to take nearly that long.

I used a shrimp for right at 36 hours on my 16gallon and reached a spike then took it out. I have always used raw shrimp for my tanks along with a lot of flake food.

A small tank will cycle much faster with good live rock so as soon as you start reading some trates I'd start with the water changes and filters. My fast cycle was mainly due to the use of cured live rock for almost all of my rock, some was semi cured 6 weeks, and I was through cycling within 8-10 days for sure. My trates slowly went back down to under 5 but were around 35-40 when started the water changes.