PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton ballast question

DownwardDawg
07/21/2012, 02:01 PM
I'm seriously considering the Hamilton 6' retro-fit light for my 125 due to the spacing I have available in the hood. The kit comes with 3 M58 magnetic ballasts. It costs $150.00 extra to upgrade to electronic ballasts. What is so great about the electronic ballast that I would want to make that upgrade???

alton
07/21/2012, 03:15 PM
All the heat mag ballast produce is wasted energy. As they get older because of the heat they get less efficient. Electronic ballast either work at 90% efficient or better or die. They do not drop off like mag ballast

alton
07/21/2012, 03:19 PM
One thing I forgot to add is if you like probe start lamps, xm and others you may want to stay with mag ballast, or if you pick pulse start lamps like reeflux or radium you will have to go with electronic

DownwardDawg
07/21/2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies alton. I do have a question about something you said. You said that I would have to go with an electronic ballast if I choose Radium bulbs. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the correct ballast for a Radium bulb as a M80 ballast which is not electronic. Again, thanks for replying and I'm just trying to get all this straight before I make this light order.

RyanSweatt2004
07/21/2012, 08:43 PM
I've always had the Hamilton magnetic ballasts. They work great until they crap out. The housings have a tendency to rust and if you get one that has multiple ballasts connected inside of one housing, they suck to work on. Better off buying individual electronic ballasts IMO.

grigsy
07/21/2012, 11:26 PM
I've always had the Hamilton magnetic ballasts. They work great until they crap out. The housings have a tendency to rust and if you get one that has multiple ballasts connected inside of one housing, they suck to work on. Better off buying individual electronic ballasts IMO.

I have two Hamilton ballasts that have both worked well for 8 years. No problems at all with either. If you ever have any problem with a magnetic ballast, it probably is just the capacitor - an easy fix and cheap fix. The transformers tend to last forever. Capacitors can go after 5 - 6 years which is normal. I have a PFO M80 HQI ballast and it has been equally reliable. The only issue I had with my PFO ballast was the capacitor. I replaced it and it is still going great.

DownwardDawg
07/22/2012, 05:18 AM
I have two Hamilton ballasts that have both worked well for 8 years. No problems at all with either. If you ever have any problem with a magnetic ballast, it probably is just the capacitor - an easy fix and cheap fix. The transformers tend to last forever. Capacitors can go after 5 - 6 years which is normal. I have a PFO M80 HQI ballast and it has been equally reliable. The only issue I had with my PFO ballast was the capacitor. I replaced it and it is still going great.

So, would you reccommend the magnetic over the electronic due to performance over time and the simplicity of working on them?
I still haven't ruled out going with the M80 and Radium combo. :spin2:

sirreal63
07/22/2012, 08:41 AM
If you are going with non-hqi SE bulbs it makes sense to go electronic, if you are going to run hqi bulbs like the Radium or Phoenix (and several others) then go with the M80.