PDA

View Full Version : Time of day for dosing

solitude127
07/21/2012, 04:58 PM
I currently dose BRS recipe 2 two part solution. Does it matter what time of day I dose my Ca?

Purple Rocks
07/21/2012, 05:27 PM
does you 2 part have a high ph?

I was under the assumption that it be best to dose at night to help prevent ph swings
ph drops at night so if your 2 part has a high ph i would think the dark cycle would be a good time, on a drip it would slow the ph swing or stop it al together I think.

Get a second opinion never used this product.
My 2 cents hope it helps.

brandon429
07/21/2012, 05:33 PM
in my opinion its either in the late night or early in the morning, unless you are running a counterlit refugium or ats then its all the same.

so lets get a third opinion lol I could be wrong

Im thinking the immediate evening after lights off is pretty much the same ph max for the tank that eod lights on had...closer to midnight and beyond, or ideally in morning just before lights on, is the highest acidic phase for a standard tank not on counterlit photosynthesis which equalizes the pH (ideally) and makes all hours pretty much the same.

incidentally, its the alk portion people have concern about, the calcium is commonly dosed any time as long as not at the same time for precipitation concerns.

An interesting additional note is that in tiny half gallon sps reefs even a calcium addition in the evenings can kill the whole tank at high ph time, even calcium has to be dosed in the mornings along with alk

perhaps in you guys larger tanks the extra volume helps somehow in your anytime ca+++ additions?

brandon429
07/21/2012, 05:37 PM
Ive always wondered chemically why calcium in the afternoon was just as deadly as alk in a very small tank, I have no idea why.

Buzz1329
07/21/2012, 07:02 PM
If you're manually dosing BRS formula one, I believe the soda ash used to increase alkalinity will raise pH. So it's best to dose the alk part of formula when pH is low -- like in the morning before the lights come on. Otherwise, I don't think it matters.

solitude127
07/21/2012, 07:38 PM
If you're manually dosing BRS formula one, I believe the soda ash used to increase alkalinity will raise pH. So it's best to dose the alk part of formula when pH is low -- like in the morning before the lights come on. Otherwise, I don't think it matters.

Thank you. Yes, I understand what affects Soda Ash has, but my question is about Ca. Does it absorb different depending on the time of day?

reefnewbie83177
07/21/2012, 07:49 PM
Thank you. Yes, I understand what affects Soda Ash has, but my question is about Ca. Does it absorb different depending on the time of day?

No. It's all the same, as long as temperature and pH are the same. The best is to dose over 24h on with a dosing pump, but if only dosing smaller volumes <50mL I think it is OK to dose all at once. I always dosed my Ca and CO3 about 10 minutes apart in different parts of sump/DT.

bertoni
07/21/2012, 08:49 PM
The time of day doesn't matter much. If the pH in the tank runs a bit low, dosing the alkalinity in the morning might help a bit, if you're using a high-pH formula.

solitude127
07/22/2012, 02:46 PM
Thank you all for your help

bertoni
07/22/2012, 03:52 PM
You're welcome!

ShawnKPD
07/23/2012, 12:12 AM
I dose mine at night after the lights have been off a few hours, mostly for pH reasons.

Sport507
07/23/2012, 01:41 PM
I use extra saturated lime water in my ATO so I only have to manually dose 2 dKH alk and 28ppm’s of cal. Once a week. I test on Sunday whenever I get around to it and dose whenever I get around to it. I’m with Jonathon I don’t think the time of day matters much or at least my corals have griped about it.

As for PH, the last time I check mine was probably about 6-8 months ago, likely on a Wednesday and I don't remember what it was. I plan on checking it again maybe with in the next 8-14 months probably on a Tuesday this time.

disc1
07/23/2012, 04:07 PM
As for PH, the last time I check mine was probably about 6-8 months ago, likely on a Wednesday and I don't remember what it was. I plan on checking it again maybe with in the next 8-14 months probably on a Tuesday this time.

pH in my tank is always a good 0.2 units lower on Tuesdays than any other night of the week. I've measured it to find out just for kicks.

I think it has something to do with the Tuesday night card game and the sudden influx of five or six grown humans and all their breathing.

Buzz1329
07/23/2012, 05:20 PM

Ah. Sorry, I misread the question. FWIW, I agree with other posts that it does not matter what time of day you dose CA.

kissman
07/23/2012, 05:26 PM
I did my alk at midnight and calcium at 3. at one point i did them at the same time on different ends of sump

Sport507
07/23/2012, 05:46 PM
pH in my tank is always a good 0.2 units lower on Tuesdays than any other night of the week. I've measured it to find out just for kicks.

I think it has something to do with the Tuesday night card game and the sudden influx of five or six grown humans and all their breathing.

:D Take care of your penneis and the dollars will take care of themselves.

That being said, how much do you play for and what kind of scotch do you keep on hand. I might drop by and pull up a chair, take note though, my respiration increases when I know have a winning hand. Make sure your PH probe is in calibration.