PDA

View Full Version : STN remedies and problem solving

Bugger
07/21/2012, 08:35 PM
Im trying reef energy from red sea on a coral that is begining to stn on me. Im hoping it will work. I will post a picture if this thread picks up.

tell me about you past expirencence with it or your current problems

dixiedog
07/21/2012, 10:10 PM
I've never figured out for sure what has caused it in my tank. Three times I've had colonies that had been doing great just suddenly start necrosing and slowly die. It's always been my largest, fastest growing, and most colorful colonies. All parameters were rock steady, no changes had been made, no pests in the tank, etc etc etc.

So my theory is that sometimes corals die just to spite me.

Bugger
07/21/2012, 10:49 PM
It takes place out in the ocean to large colonies of acropora. I think it also has to do with low par. the question is can small corals recover

franklypre
07/22/2012, 02:29 AM
Sometimes a coral must sacrafice a portion of it to allow the rest of it to grow, nature at it's purist. We can't create a light source that covers as well as the sun in nature, and like stated above it is in fact a part of nature as well.

Logzor
07/22/2012, 10:02 AM
The way that I see it, STN is a reaction to stress in the aquarium. That could be anything from low parameters to a temperature spike. The important thing to realize is that in many cases, STN will continue until the coral dies, even if you correct the problem.

Pull the coral and apply super-glue over the STN area. If you've fixed the parameter issues then this will typically stop the STN and the coral should immediately begin to re-grow over the super-glue.

In my aquarium, high salinity caused STN on almost all of my SPS coral fragments. Super-glue has saved 90% of them.