PDA

View Full Version : Top five (or ten) things I will need?

stevec3896
07/22/2012, 09:54 AM
Hi all. First post here after reading a few hundred. What a great source of information!

Well, for starters, I have a 220 gallon FW tank that I was going to convert to SW. Been doing FW for many years and now, finally, want to do salt. Anyway,I decided to go with both (long story)...So,yesterday I purchased a 180 gallon tank,stand,canopy (yeah,my wife is about to kill me) with two overflow baskets and drilled holes in the bottom.I want to go ahead and get that set up for a FISH ONLY SW tank, but by no means am I in a rush to do so. First,I want to know what the most important things I should invest in for the best success and best health of my future fish.

Of course,I could keep on reading these posts and find the information (which i will) but, some individualized attention never hurts.lol...

So, from what I can tell,my next/first purchase should be a RO/DI unit ? No problem. So whats next? UV ? Please give me a few in order of importance if possible,and I will gather them accordingly.Thanks so much.

Oh..I'm sure I should be giving more information on my part,but at this point,I don't know,what I don't know...You know? I do know this.I want to go "Fish only" and would rather not get into a sump system (i'm sure there is a better name for it),instead maybe a couple of canisters and UV? Whatever it takes.

I will gladly take the advise of the good people on this site and use it to my advantage. Again, thanks. Steve,,

cubsFAN
07/22/2012, 10:06 AM
I'd go with:

RO/DI
Protein skimmer
live rock, or dry rock and a little live rock to seed it and sand
2xcanister filters
heaters (I like eheim)

That's in no particular order. I'd say the ro/di and the rock/sand and heaters are necessary to get started. Of course you'll need a quality salt and that can be pretty expensive so that would also fit somewhere on the list along with media for the canister filters. You'll also want some strong, reliable and reasonably priced powerheads. You can get some koralias for a fair price. and of course you'll need a return pump.

now that I've typed all that I'll give you my new list:

1)ro/di and quality salt
2)rock/sand
3)return pump (I know you don't want a "sump" set up, but you bought the tank for it. just stick a 75 or appropriate size aquarium below the tank)
4)powerheads
5)heaters

That should get you started.

Blayz77
07/22/2012, 10:54 AM
i know you said you didnt want a sump but considering your tank is drilled with two overflows it was pretty much designed for use with one. also not to mention you will need certain things like protien skimmer, heater, carbon/gfo source, return pump, etc.. a sump is a nice spot to put all this stuff that goes along with having a sw tank.

in the event you decide not to go with a sump, u need to think about where the water is going to drain into, if you decide on canister filters where are the pumps gonna go to feed them, where are you going to put carbon/gfo bags in the display? or if you run media reactors again where are the pumps gonna go to feed them. then theres a protien skimmer, heater, return pump etc etc. basically a sump is a very handy thing to have.

that said my list would be as follows
1. sump (also acts as filtration device no need for cansitsers)
2. return pump and the supplies needed to plumb your tank
3. ro/di water filtration system and salt
4. rock and sand
5. heaters/lights

honestly this list can very easily be like 10-15 items long to get you started, but this is pretty much the bare bone essentials to get you up and running for the cycle.

Sean_South
07/22/2012, 11:00 AM
RO unit and a protein skimmer I would say are the two best investments you can make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blayz77
07/22/2012, 11:06 AM
considering you title did say 5 or 10 things ill expand a little bit on the list lol

6. refractometer
7. basic saltwater test kit
8. protien skimmer
9. filter media
10. thermometer or device that shows temp

these are things you are going to want to have either during the cycle or before fish are added

TL1000RSquid
07/22/2012, 11:07 AM
As said above since your already plumbed for a sump, a DIY 55g sump in the end wouldn't really cost you anymore then say 2 good canisters like eheim's. Then you can also hide all your equipment there.

Stuff noones mentioned yet, liquid test kits, refractometer, tds meter if you buy a RODI that doesn't include it. Large container for mixing your water, pump for said container.

spollock818
07/22/2012, 11:10 AM
Patients, understanding, knowledge, eagerness, wisdom. Loose any of these and tank goes south

cubsFAN
07/22/2012, 02:02 PM
sorry. didn't mean canister filters. media reactors is what I meant. 2little fishies makes some good ones at a fair price.

skidoctor
07/22/2012, 02:20 PM
+1 to spollock

skidoctor
07/22/2012, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah- he forgot too mention $

MrTuskfish
07/22/2012, 04:23 PM
A QT is one of the most important things you NEED. I'm surprised it took 11 post to mention it.

chrisfont23
07/22/2012, 07:51 PM
I could not survive without my MP 10s.

elrey
07/23/2012, 03:55 PM
First thing first, you will need a bucket of salt !

elrey
07/23/2012, 04:05 PM
And a good test kit

stevec3896
07/23/2012, 05:08 PM
And I'll a bucket of money from what I'm seeing ! Just kidding really.I understand the commitment level is high in many ways. I'm expecting it to be just as rewarding as well.