PDA

View Full Version : General Acro Question

jerpa
07/23/2012, 10:26 AM
I'm new to SPS, and pretty new to the hobby, so please excuse this question if it's common knowledge. I understand you have to be patient waiting for Acro's to get settled and color up when introduced to your tank. I'm trying to figure out signs that they are in a good spot other than PE. I have several that have begun growing and/or encrusting. All the new growth is the color the rest of the coral should be and stays that color. Should I assume that this is a sign it is in a good spot?

Thanks

Digitalelectric
07/23/2012, 11:17 AM
Heres how I went about it when starting off:
Note my lighting is 250W MH 20K Radiums on HQI setting i.e. lots of light.

1. Tested water parameters to ensure they were in the commonly accepted range required for keeping SPS.

2. Got a VERY hardy SPS like a Montipora Digitata and placed it on the bottom. After a few hours took note of polyp extension. Polyps were open and flowing in the current 'happily'. So I knew the water was ok, just as the test kits showed. Usually if something is off with the water it will be the first thing the coral reacts negatively to.

3. After about three days noticed the color was intensifying/brightening on the digi. PLaced it a little higher in the tank: about 3 inches.

4. After a few more days Coral went from pink to red and was very 'radient.' So that was my starting position. Gave me a feel for how far down the par from my bulbs reached, in this case on a 125Long three inches from the bottom easily supported a medium light requiring coral.

5. Got a green slimer and a few acros that I cant remember the name of. Placed them about 5 inches up from the bottom since they were already under high intensity bulbs at the lfs.

6. A week later the corals held color very well and polyps on the slimer were fully extended. So now I know I can start acros about 5 inches from the bottom and work their way up from there depending on lighting needs. I left the slimer at 5 inches down so I could get a lot of long vertical growth on it which I think looks cool from tanks Ive seen. Ive noticed Slimers high up in the tank seem to form differently.

So its hard to just say stick it 7 inches from the top/bottom, due to everyones lighting needs/depth of tank being different. Just know that the first thing to kill an acro will be water quality issues/parasites/battles with certain softies/ the second will be lighting issues and will take longer. I have noticed some patterns and others may chime in/argue with me:

A. Slow lightening/dulling of color=not enough light
B. Sudden bleaching= Too much light or temperature issues or SERIOUS water issues like metals, toxins, salinity or ph shock.
C. Browning/RTNing=Nutrients and or flow
D. Poor growth or RTNing form the base=not maintaining calcium/mag/trace elements

Falcao
07/26/2012, 12:54 PM
not to jump on the thread, but I to am starting on SPS corals. I have them high on a frag rack. I have notice that some of them coral is covering the frag plugs, and not growning as much up. I assume this is do to being high in the tank.

jerpa
07/26/2012, 02:54 PM
From what I understand SPS typically encrust first before showing much vertical growth.

Falcao
07/26/2012, 03:26 PM
yeah Jer, that is what I have been finding out. What type of lighting are you using?

jerpa
07/26/2012, 04:08 PM
I just put two Kessil A350W's over my tank two weeks ago. Prior to that I had 2 of the A150's with 2 54W T5.

Falcao
07/27/2012, 11:08 AM
patient is the keep word in our hobby, and always looking to keep an eye on everything until we find sweet spot for our corals.

reef_of_flames
08/16/2013, 10:10 PM
Heres how I went about it when starting off:
Note my lighting is 250W MH 20K Radiums on HQI setting i.e. lots of light.

1. Tested water parameters to ensure they were in the commonly accepted range required for keeping SPS.

2. Got a VERY hardy SPS like a Montipora Digitata and placed it on the bottom. After a few hours took note of polyp extension. Polyps were open and flowing in the current 'happily'. So I knew the water was ok, just as the test kits showed. Usually if something is off with the water it will be the first thing the coral reacts negatively to.

3. After about three days noticed the color was intensifying/brightening on the digi. PLaced it a little higher in the tank: about 3 inches.

4. After a few more days Coral went from pink to red and was very 'radient.' So that was my starting position. Gave me a feel for how far down the par from my bulbs reached, in this case on a 125Long three inches from the bottom easily supported a medium light requiring coral.

5. Got a green slimer and a few acros that I cant remember the name of. Placed them about 5 inches up from the bottom since they were already under high intensity bulbs at the lfs.

6. A week later the corals held color very well and polyps on the slimer were fully extended. So now I know I can start acros about 5 inches from the bottom and work their way up from there depending on lighting needs. I left the slimer at 5 inches down so I could get a lot of long vertical growth on it which I think looks cool from tanks Ive seen. Ive noticed Slimers high up in the tank seem to form differently.

So its hard to just say stick it 7 inches from the top/bottom, due to everyones lighting needs/depth of tank being different. Just know that the first thing to kill an acro will be water quality issues/parasites/battles with certain softies/ the second will be lighting issues and will take longer. I have noticed some patterns and others may chime in/argue with me:

A. Slow lightening/dulling of color=not enough light
B. Sudden bleaching= Too much light or temperature issues or SERIOUS water issues like metals, toxins, salinity or ph shock.
C. Browning/RTNing=Nutrients and or flow
D. Poor growth or RTNing form the base=not maintaining calcium/mag/trace elements

Good stuff :)

reefmutt
08/17/2013, 06:35 AM
Judging wether a coral is in a good spot is difficult no matter what level one is.
Obviously, with more experience, and knowledge of specific species of coral, one can place a coral based on its known requirements like deep water acros or stags, etc.
A lot of it is patience and observation and some experimentation.
If your corals are growing and encrusting, you could attempt to frag them and try placing a frag in another part of the aquarium and watch how it reacts... See how it colours up or changes its growth patterns.
The most important thing, though, before placement is proper water parameters. You have to make sure you have the basic requirements for sps before you should even worry about placement..many acros can be very adaptable and perfect placement is not always required but perfect water quality is always required..