PDA

View Full Version : 8 gallon Biocube Suggestions?

Pete H.
07/23/2012, 01:40 PM
So, I just received an 8 gallon biocube. I think this will be my wife's tank. She seems to like the softy corals and such which will be perfect under the PC lights. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what they really like in their tank. I have never done a tank this small, so I am looking for suggestions for fish, corals, cuc, etc. I have 3 other tanks. They are a 20 gallon, a 55 gallon, and a 130 gallon. So, an 8 gallon is a bit smaller than I am use to.

Not sure if a clownfish would fit or not. It would be great to find a couple fish with great personalities for the tank that could stay in through maturity. However, I do have plenty of space in my other tanks to move a fish or two if they would outgrow the 8 gallon over a few years time.

Love to hear from those with smaller tanks and what they really have liked in their tank!

Thanks for the help!

SushiGirl
07/23/2012, 02:15 PM
For a tank that small I'd recommend either a yasha goby/candy cane pistol pair, or for small fish with personality, a pair of red-headed gobies.

Pete H.
07/23/2012, 02:18 PM
I will have to look into these. I am not to familiar with alot of the gobies. Do you think that a small wrasse could work with these fish or should I really stick to just a goby or so in the tank?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be looking at these in a few seconds. :)

SushiGirl
07/23/2012, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't put a wrasse in an 8 gallon tank. There are plenty of other small swimming gobies, but I haven't seen any real personality from any I've seen. The red headeds stay very small & will enjoy watching you when you're near the tank. The yasha & pistol also stay small & are interesting to watch. For either of those scenarios you could get one or maybe 2 of the tiny swimming gobies since they inhabit a different area. I wouldn't put the red headeds in with the pistol/goby pair. You can go to LiveAquaria.com under marine fish & hit the nano fish link for moe fish ideas.

Pete H.
07/23/2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I was on liveaquaria and I noticed they had a couple clownfish on their but figured they would be a bit too big for the 8 gallon.

The reason I asked about the wrasse is I have heard the possom wrasse has a pretty interesting personality and they are in the nano fish at 10 gallons and thought that might work.

I do like the pistol goby pair. I have a yellow watchman with a pistol in my 55 gallon and it is fun to see their work.

Would this work as a tentative list:
White Banded Possum Wrasse
Barnacle Blenny
yasha goby/candy cane pistol pair
Firefish

Is there any clownfish that would work? My wife loves them but we don't want them to suffer either with not enough swimming room.

Thanks again for the help. :)

SushiGirl
07/23/2012, 03:43 PM
I forgot about the possum wrasse.

I wouldn't put more than three 1" to 2" or 2 1/2" fully grown fish in there. 8 gallons is too small for a clown, IMO. Remember you don't have 8 gallons of water with rock & sand in there.

Pete H.
07/23/2012, 03:54 PM
Great! I kind of figured that a clown was not going to fit. Thanks for the help!

Any suggestions on great corals (softies, zoas, or LPS) for a 8 gallon nano that would work well with these fish (not sure which ones to go with yet. Maybe will drop the firefish):

White Banded Possum Wrasse
Barnacle Blenny
yasha goby/candy cane pistol pair
Firefish

SushiGirl
07/23/2012, 08:38 PM
Zoas are always a great option for a small tank. Mushrooms & leathers will get too big too fast. Ricordea mushrooms are also a great option. Zoas & rics come in lots of colors, so even with just those 2 there'd be a good sized selection. Actually, you could go with blue or watermelon mushrooms. I have 2 blue ones that are really big, but they could be your "big" coral LOL. Red ones get really large & like to move around & irritate your other corals. Blue clove polyps are tiny & will cover everything but your other corals, so they make a great filler coral. Those are what I can think of right offhand.