PDA

View Full Version : A little Tunze programming help...

sn4265
07/23/2012, 08:32 PM
Just thought I would post what I have done so far with programming my new Tunze 6095 powerheads. I have a 120 gal softy/LPS reef tank that is 4x2x2. I have the pumps on opposite sides of the tank about 6 to eight inches down pointed somewhat downward towards the front glass. I'm really looking to get some good wave action during the day with some transition to a calmer night time mode.

Here is what I pieced together for myself from the following link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994312&highlight=tunze+variable:

Wave
Synchronize Enabled
Divide by 10 Enabled
Initial off time (Seconds) 0
On time (Seconds) 7
Off time (Seconds) 4
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 100

Night
Synchronize Disabled
Divide by 10 Disabled
On time (Seconds) 10
Off time (Seconds) 15
Minimum intensity 30
Maximum intensity 50

DuskDawn
Synchronize Enabled
Divide by 10 Enabled
On time (Seconds) 7
Off time (Seconds) 4
Minimum intensity 0
Maximum intensity 50

Each pump then has this setting...
Set Wave
If Time 08:30 to 09:29 Then DuskDawn
If Time 09:30 to 19:29 Then Wave
If Time 19:30 to 20:29 Then DuskDawn
If Time 20:30 to 08:29 Then Night

I really have only had time to get the pumps in and throw something together. I haven't even seen the wave profile in action yet and won't until I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any feedback on this programming.

Dave & Monica
07/23/2012, 10:24 PM
Programming looks sound. Here's a link to my programming. http://www.reeftronics.net/d-m/apex-program

I have the same pumps but only a 72 gal bow front. I'm happy (corals too) with the programming I have.

mal7887
07/24/2012, 05:53 AM
It looks good, but every tank is different. I used the thread you mentioned above to start, and I had to tweak a little to get it just right for my tank. I think you will be happy with the Tunzes and VDM combo. They make the corals dance nice.

mal7887
07/24/2012, 05:56 AM
You also might want to consider some random surges throughout the day. I created two virtual outlets and put them on a OSC setting at odd times. So throughout the day when the virtural outlets are on the pumps change to the surge profiles for a brief time.

RussM
07/24/2012, 06:45 AM
Regarding your Wave and DuskDawn profiles...

WARNING: Tunze recommends an intensity of 30% or higher for Tunze Streams Pumps. For best results and longevity of your pumps, never set the Minimum Intensity lower than 30%.

mal7887
07/24/2012, 06:53 AM
Hey Russ,

I asked this question to Roger with Tunze USA in the Tunze sponsor forum... Here's what he said...

You can cycle a 6095 on and off, and besides being annoying the noise is not harmful to the pump, it is the sound of the impeller clapping against the bottom of the pump on start up. The type of controller used also plays a role in the noise as our controllers 7092 and 7095 ramp from 0-10% over a fraction of a second to ease the magnet down before jumping to the set speed. Basically, you can run from off to on and any speed 30-100%, speeds between 1-29% are not allowed, they can damage the pump long term. The 0-10% ramp is over a period of a tenth of a second so it is inconsequential.

I know manufactures make claims sometimes… but in reality… you know the rest. Have you had experience with pulsing them on and off damaging or prematurely wearing out the pump?

sn4265
07/24/2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah. I'm going to have to seriously play around with the settings probably this weekend when I can sit in front of the tank with the laptop. I'm also interested to see how this new higher flow volume impacts the fish and corals. I'm afraid that I may have to relocate a few corals once I find the new lower flow areas. One of my big hopes is that the higher flow around the bulk of the tank and especially the sandbed will help to eliminate the algae growth down on the sandbed.

This morning when I got up and took a look, I noticed right away that the new pumps had already blown a clear spot all the way to the bottom glass in the front where the pumps are aiming. I angled them both up a few degrees to see if that will work better. I really need to research my corals to make sure about desired flow. Right now I'm thinking that short of adding a surge or 2 I might decrease my standard wave profile down to a max intensity of like 80%. Once again though, I'll have to watch how things are doing and probably wait until this weekend when I really have some time to play with it.